The Delta Solution (2011)

by Patrick Robinson

Series: Mack Bedford (3)

Fiction. Thriller. HTML:

New York Times bestselling author Patrick Robinson is back with the third thriller in his page-turning Mack Bedford series: The Delta Solution.

For years, heavily armed Somali pirates have been capturing and holding for ransom massive cargo ships, violently demanding millions of dollars for their return. Each time an owner pays big for the return of their ship, the pirates immediately capture again, enraging the Pentagon. That is, until the "Somali Marines" make a big mistake, seizing at gunpoint two United States ships and demanding a $15 million ransom.

Hero Mack Bedford, previously encountered in Diamondhead and Intercept, is deployed to SEAL Team 10 to form the Delta Platoon. His objective: obliterate the Somali Marines in the middle of the Indian Ocean, at all costs, once and for all.

… (more)

Such a great concept -- behind the scenes with the Somali pirates, trying to understand their motivation; listening in to the commercial ship owners as they make the decisions to pay the ransoms (yes plural for some of them); introducing the elite commando team that will fix the problem -- but then the first 50pp are done and you realize you still have another 275pp to slog through.

I was motivated to read this book, as I have altered sailing routes twice to avoid known pirate territory and was shadowed for a day another time, so I really enjoy ready current piracy accounts where I can learn something new, unfortunately this was not it. Not recommended. ( )
  BookWallah | Oct 1, 2011 |
I liked this story and really liked the hero, Mac Bedford, a former Delta Platoon member sent to SEAL team 10. There was just something missing from the story, though. Each time I left the book and came back, I had to go back and remind myself who was who and what was their place in the story. I have struggled trying to define this. All I know is that other similar books felt fuller and less narrated. This one always seemed it could have been written a little it better. Still a good story. ( )
  gwnsad | Jun 10, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

Fiction. Thriller. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,117,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible