Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an…

Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Diane Stein (Author)

Reiki is an ancient and profoundly simple system of "laying on of hands" healing derived from Tibetan Buddhism. In the West, Reiki has been kept highly secret for many years. ESSENTIAL REIKI presents full information on all three degrees of this healing system, most of it in print for the first time. Teaching from the perspective that Reiki healing belongs to all people, Diane Stein breaks new ground in her classic guide to this ancient practice. While no book can replace the directly received Reiki "attunements," ESSENTIAL REIKI provides everything else that the healer, practitioner, and teacher of this system needs.… (more)
Member:Jelgava
Title:Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
Authors:Diane Stein (Author)
Info:Crossing Press (1995), Edition: 1, 156 pages

Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art by Diane Stein (1995)

Classic book on Reiki that was controversial in it's day and is now considered standard reading on the subject of Reiki. I read it years ago and I remember being very unsettled with its content and I should read it again before assigning stars to it. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Feb 27, 2018 |
I read Essential Reiki, A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art by Diane Stein. The author made a distinction between Jesus as a historical figure and Jesus as portrayed by the churches. She mentioned that the historical Jesus might have been a bodhisattva. She brought up a book Jesus Lived in India by Holger Kersten as her source. This was very fascinating! She included a lot of Buddhist information throughout her book and explained how Reiki was the reverse of the Enlightenment path in Buddhism. She mentioned how the Reiki symbols are Sanskrit--derived Japanese forms that are at least 2500 years old. She also distinguishes between traditional Reiki and her modern version of Reiki. For example, she included both traditional Reiki symbols and alternative modern-day symbols. Furthermore, she included non-Reiki symbols and the Antahkarana design, sometimes found on dinner plates in the Midwest. Her modern version of Reiki included stuff I've never read about before, including the Hara Line, Kundalini channels, Microcosmic orbit within the body, and the StillPoint in the neck. Her chapter on passing attunements is what convinced me that an attunement is a DNA trigger for a change within the body. Modern science has discovered switches for sequences of DNA within the genes that may activate with some type of environmental trigger. I suspect that the triggers are neuro-electrical in nature, just like an attunement. In addition, the author introduced the Stupa and the five elements and forms in Chapter Ten, "Reiki and the Path to Enlightenment." She explains that the Vajra scepter figure and/or the Vajra bell-shaped figure is an adamantine (e.g. diamond) and says that the Raku (e.g. lightning bolt) is the Vajra of Vajrayana Buddhism. She defines Vajra as the non-duality of mind and object, which reminded me of the Tree of Life and the Magician in the Tarot cards with respect to manifestation. I was fascinated once again by the importance of the Raku symbol as discussed by the author because it reminded me of the Lightning Techno-Shaman in M Terry Green's books. Moreover, the author hinted at ancient alien theories and only someone familiar with those theories would understand the implications that she was putting forth. Diane Stein's book helped me to make many connections between certain concepts that I thought were unrelated. I'm happy to have read her book even though there were parts I didn't like. Her book deserves a rating of at least four stars out of five. ( )
  RebaOrton | Sep 20, 2017 |
when Diane Stein published this book in 1995, she thought she was being radical by publishing the reiki symbols and a method of initiation, previously thought to be unpublished. Her book is consciously feminist and avoids male pronouns. Her approach to Reiki notes that indeed, she hadn't had formal 'official' training at a senior level, but offers that training nonetheless to any and all. Ultimately her 'thumbing her nose' at the system was an approach that turned many off - in addition, the symbols she 'revealed' are somewhat aberrant as far as traditional symbols go... ( )
1 vote waltquan | Dec 16, 2010 |
Why is this book so popular? Possibly one of the very worst books on Reiki ever written. Fabricated, channelled and invented history. Totally innacurate information on the Reiki symbols. Made up symbols that have no use whatsoever in the Reiki system and are based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the energetics of symbols. Not recommended in the slightest. ( )
1 vote | Sep 30, 2010 | edit |
Whereas the book looks very complete and offers much technical detail, I don't trust Diane Stein for the following reason: she transmits false information without having ever checked, or had the curiosity to verify its accuracy. Her absolute ignorance of the symbols' real meanings and origins is the most blatant manifestation of this. So even though there's no denying the healing results she obtains, I don't think she really knows how or why she obtains them, and this makes it dangerous to learn from her. A word to the wise!
1 vote pathlessness | Aug 27, 2007 |
Diane, a Reiki master/teacher since 1990, writes of her own experiences of teaching and passing attunements to her students. She is a respected teacher of women's spirituality and healing skills. This book was my introduction to Reiki and although I don't agree with the author on everything written in it based on my continued understanding of Reiki tradition.

That which is a mystery shall no longer be so, and that which has been veiled will be revealed; that which has been withdrawn will emerge into the light, and all women shall see and together they shall rejoice.
Alice Bailey
When you heal yourself and assist others with their self-healing, you heal the Earth.

You do make a difference.

Laurel Steinhice
Channeling the Earth Mother
I believe there exists One Supreme Being---the Absolute Infinite---a Dynamic Force that governs the world and universe. It is an unseen spiritual power that vibrates and all other powers fade into insignificance beside it. So, therefore, it is Absolute!...

I shall call it "Reiki" ...

Being a universal force from the Great Divine Spirit, it belongs to all who seek and desire to learn the art of healing.

Hawayo Takata
For Elaine Goldman Gill
I first experienced hands-on healing at the 1983 Michigan Women's Music Festival, along with several other healing techniques.

Reiki is an ancient and profoundly simple system of “laying on of hands” healing derived from Tibetan Buddhism. In the West, Reiki has been kept highly secret for many years. ESSENTIAL REIKI presents full information on all three degrees of this healing system, most of it in print for the first time. Teaching from the perspective that Reiki healing belongs to all people, Diane Stein breaks new ground in her classic guide to this ancient practice. While no book can replace the directly received Reiki “attunements,” ESSENTIAL REIKI provides everything else that the healer, practitioner, and teacher of this system needs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,783,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible