One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

One Grave at a Time (edition 2011)

by Jeaniene Frost (Author)

Having narrowly averted an (under)world war, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans' voodoo queen just keeps on giving-leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit. Centuries ago, Heinrich Krammer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity--forever. But one wrong step and they'll be digging their own graves.… (more)
Member:alreynolds
Title:One Grave at a Time
Authors:Jeaniene Frost (Author)
Info:Avon Books (2011), Edition: 1st, 358 pages
Collections:Unread Not TBR, Your library, Read but unowned (inactive)

Work Information

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

Good fun fluff. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
boy, is this hard.
i usually don't have doubts when it comes to rating books, and the quality of the Night Huntress saga is still pretty high even after six books, two spin-offs and at least four novellas. yet i found myself torn between two or three stars, for probably the first time since I've started reading the series.
book 5 was disappointing, but it still had some good moments: the sex chapter, cat's development, cat and bones's romance. what annoyed me about the previous book was the plot, which felt scattered and chaotic, and the writing, which was... ugh. just terrible.
reading this book was like seeing a shimmering surface of a golden city only to find out that deep down it's dark and empty and ugly. bones and cat and all the other characters were there, but, with the only exception of cat, it was like they were merely there as some useless background. ian said a few hilarious lines and then basically vanished; denise and spade didn't add anything to the plot, and their presence is frankly annoying; the premises for a good development for justina were set and left there to be covered with dust; bones is there, yes, but even if he hadn't it wouldn't have made a difference. the protagonist was cat - which is fair, since i love her and she actually /is/ the main character, but it was also annoying, as if the author didn't know what to do with the other characters and just awkwardly left them there.
i've always appreciated frost's style: it's simple and quirky and sharp and funny; but it seems like she didn't write this. the dialogues are poor, most of the drescriptions are awkward, most of the time she forgets some characters are there and the scene sounds incomplete, the banter is gone; it felt like her again only in the last two or three chapters.
the plot was messy and insulting: it simply isn't beliavable that no one understood obvious things until it was too late. it was clear that kramer had picked cat as his third victim, why didn't anyone understand it until almost the end of the book? did the author think the readers are really so dumb? why didn't it occur to anyone that it was weird that kramer, a sexist probably homophobic bitch, picked a man as his accomplice, especially after knowing that he raped them? why did it take cat and bones so long to understand that ghosts were still using marie lauveau's powers to get to her? really, all the plot twists were predictable and fell flat. it almost seems that she made the characters stupid on purpose just to add a few more chapters.
the plot wasn't that good either. it could have been so good, so interesting, and yet it's clear that she didn't really know what to write next, and added things as soon as she thought them. the book was repetitive and boring, so slow-paced that it took me a few days to finish it: the characters are continuously dragged in new places --> attack of the ghost -----> some new place -----> somebody interrupts -----> they have to run again. also, the villain and the story could gave been a lot scarier. i felt some tension only during the end of the book, and the ghost looked somehow... harmless. i mean, sure, he's sleazy and slimy and devious, but hello? he's probably the most powerful ghost in existence? why doesn't he do something actually dangerous, something that could actually hurt? yeah, he throws some silver knives and ruins some apartments and the accomplice almost kills denise, but that's just it. not that much scary. oh, and don't make me start on that finale. so anti-climatic and stupid.
madigan is going to be the great villain in the last instalment of the series, but he doesn't stand as extremely dangerous either? he's stereotypical and caricatural to actually feel realistic, but i hope i'll change my mind about him reading the last book. ( )
  folkiara | Feb 2, 2021 |
Synopsis: 'Having narrowly averted an (under)world war, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans' voodoo queen just keeps on giving – leading to a personal favour that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.
Centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity--forever. But one wrong step and they’ll be digging their own graves.'
Review: This was like coming in in the middle of a movie: you sort of know what's going on, but there are parts missing. Some sex, some mayhem, sort of an interesting premise. ( )
  DrLed | Jul 25, 2020 |
I gave this 3 stars because it just wasn't as good as the other books in the series, compared to the others it was kinda blase'. It took me longer to get through this book than it has any other book in the series this is including the books in the spin off series. But still I love Bones & cat and their crew, and can't wait for the next book. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
I had such a good time with this book. I first read this book almost 7 years ago and was pretty eager to revisit it. I didn't remember a lot of the details from this book so it almost felt like I was reading for the first time. I thought that this was a really fun installment in the series even if it wasn't one of my favorites. It was really great to spend a few hours with some of my favorite vampires.

This book picks up shortly after the events in the previous books. Of course, things will not stay calm for long for Cat and Bones. Cat learns through her ghostly friends that there is a very powerful ghost that is able to commit the same crimes he did during his life but only on Halloween night. They must work to protect his targets as he proves just how strong he really is.

My favorite thing about these books is the characters. It was great to spend time with Cat and Bones and I love the way they both continue to grow in every book. Their relationship is very strong and it is a lot of fun to watch them interact with each other. I do really enjoy the bigger cast of characters as well and it was great to see Spade, Denise, and Ian playing an important role in this book. I, of course, would have liked to see Vlad make an appearance but I guess I will just have to read his spin-off series to get more of him.

Tavia Gilbert does a phenomenal job with this series. She has been consistent with the character voices from the very beginning so everything just seems to flow easily. I think that she adds a lot to the story and is able to make everything more exciting at times. She has a very pleasant voice and reads the story at a perfect pace. Her narration only added to my enjoyment of this wonderful story.

I would recommend this book to others. This is a series that really does need to be read in order to be fully appreciated since many of the events and character relationships have been developing throughout the series. This was a fast-paced and exciting addition to a much-loved series. I cannot wait to continue my re-read of this series. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 24, 2019 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, SandraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rizzati, DonatellaTraduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my grandmother, Kathleen. Though you are no longer with us, you are no less loved.
Lasting Peace Cemetery

Garland Texas

Donald Bartholonew Williams, get your ass back here now!

The grave is one wrong step away.

Having narrowly averted an (under)world war, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans’ voodoo queen just keeps on giving - leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.

Centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity - forever. But how do you kill a killer who’s already long dead?

The grave is one wrong step away.
Cat and Bones risk all.
Risen ghost on Hallowe'en.
No more burnt witches!
(Jaxs)
Audiobook four stars!
Narrator's engaging voice.
Frost's great storyline.
(Jaxs)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,218,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible