Angels of Darkness (2011)

by Nalini Singh (Contributor), Ilona Andrews (Contributor), Meljean Brook (Contributor), Sharon Shinn (Contributor)

Series: Alphas (short story "Alphas: Origins", 0.5), Samaria Chronological Order ("Nocturne"), Samaria Publication Order ("Nocturne"), The Guardians (Brook) ("Ascension", 7.5), Guild Hunter (short story "Angel's Wolf", 4.5)

They soar through the night, unearthly creatures of legends and lore. Three masters of urban fantasy and paranormal romance explore the rapture of the heavens above, and the darkness below in three all-new stories of angels and guardians, and good and evil. Bestselling author Nalini Singh returns to her Guild Hunter universe to tell the story of vampire Noel, and Sharon Shinn returns to her Samaria series to tell the story of a blind angel and the woman helps him--even though she hates and fears angels. Hear these stories and an all-new novella from New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews in this exciting collection sure to delight fans of the paranormal.… (more)

Angels of Darkness is an Anthology full of four short stories from [a:Ilona Andrews|21748|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1219436898p2/21748.jpg], [a:Nalini Singh|71688|Nalini Singh|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1423312512p2/71688.jpg], [a:Meljean Brook|24009|Meljean Brook|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1317348186p2/24009.jpg], and [a:Sharon Shinn|28544|Sharon Shinn|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218995575p2/28544.jpg].

Meljean Brook and Sharon Shinn where new to me authors. I actually picked this book up to read Ilona Andrews, [b:Origins|27257359|Origins (Alphas, #0.5)|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1445543785s/27257359.jpg|47307321]; since it has been published on it’s own as well as wanting to read Nalini Singh, [b:Angel's Wolf|18895600|Angel's Wolf (Guild Hunter, #3.5)|Nalini Singh|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1385177663s/18895600.jpg|26899944]; since I’m currently reading her Guild Hunter series.

Below Are Individual Reviews

Angel’s Wolf (Guild Hunter #3.5) by Nalini Singh

Rated 3.5 Stars - I enjoyed this short story. I liked both Nimra the Angel and Noel the Vampire. Nimra needs help and Raphael sends Noel, but he thinks he’s been cast aside; because of what happened to him. Both of them needed healing in different ways and they come to find what they need in each other.

Angel’s Wolf is a sweet, sad, and enjoyable read.

Alphas: Origins (Alphas #0.5) by Ilona Andrews

Rated 3.5 Stars - I enjoyed this short story. It’s darker then what I’m used to from the Andrews team. It was very interesting and the world is vast. I would love more, maybe a series, but at this time the Andrews team has no plans on writing more in this world/series. The heroine, she is thrown into a difficult situation and she coupes with it rather well, maybe to well. I enjoyed all the characters introduced. I just felt we needed more. We barely scratch the surface of this new world and the characters.

Alphas: Origins is an intense, stressful, and fast-paced adventure.

Nocturne (Samaria) by Sharon Shinn

Rated 3.5 Stars - I enjoyed this short story. It’s an interesting world and what we get makes me want to dig deeper into it. I liked the set up and characters. It's unique in it’s portrayale of angels, angel-seekers, and humans. We have a sexy brooding angel and a daughter of an angel who is human. The romance for our leads, Corban and Moriah, blooms over time, which was nice to read. The slow burn and banter between the two made the romance believable. Both where looking for something and they found it in each other.

Nocturne is a sweet slow burn romance.

Ascension (The Guardians #7.5) by Meljean Brook

Rated 3 Stars - I enjoyed this short story. Marc and Radha are both Guardians, which means they are warriors given angelic powers to fight demons. These two have a past and it’s complicated. They end up working together to find the demon causing problems as well as who is killing supernaturals and humans. I did have trouble connecting to both Marc and Radha. It could be because they had a past or that this novella took place farthing in the series.

Ascension has a little mystery, drama, and whole lot of sexual tension.

All and all this anthology was ok! I don’t buying anthologies, but I do like to pick them up at the library. I sometimes find new authors in anthologies to try out.

Rated: 3 Angels of Darkness Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |

Below Are Individual Reviews

Angel’s Wolf (Guild Hunter #3.5) by Nalini Singh

Angel’s Wolf is a sweet, sad, and enjoyable read.

Alphas: Origins (Alphas #0.5) by Ilona Andrews

Alphas: Origins is an intense, stressful, and fast-paced adventure.

Nocturne (Samaria) by Sharon Shinn

Nocturne is a sweet slow burn romance.

Ascension (The Guardians #7.5) by Meljean Brook

Ascension has a little mystery, drama, and whole lot of sexual tension.

Rated: 3 Angels of Darkness Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
I have no plans of reading Sharon Shinn’s Samaria books but I like her short stories, so I borrowed this anthology to read the Samaria story “Nocturne”.

Moriah, a school cook, discovers a blinded angel is secretly living in the headmistress’s tower. As she pesters the angel out of his despondency, her own secrets are revealed.

I enjoyed Moriah’s curiosity and her feistiness, and I liked how this is a story about learning to deal with disability. Also, flying!
If the Samaria books were like this short story, I’d read them.

“Who are you?” he repeated.
“Moriah. I’m a cook at the school.”
“You’re insolent for a cook.”
It was all I could do to keep from replying,
You’re pathetic for an angel. Instead I said, “I supposed you’re used to being treated with more deference.”
“With civility,” he shot back. “With the sort of politeness anyone would extend to a stranger.”
There was a difference; even I had to acknowledge that. “I’ll be nice if you will,” I said.

I flicked through the other stories in this anthology and confirmed that I am not interested in reading any of them.
  Herenya | Nov 19, 2017 |
I only read Ilona Andres Alphas: Origins novella. Very good read! I don't know if they are building a new series, but its interesting! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Angel's Wolf- 3.5 stars- I love the series but did not care for these characters. There was a scene with a cat being killed, broke my heart.
Alpha's origin-5 stars, fantasy, action, romance and mystery in the perfect amount- I want more
Nocturne- 3 stars, just not my style of reading, a religious feel
Ascension- ? Did not finish ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marlo, ColeenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Alphas (short story "Alphas: Origins", 0.5)
The Guardians (Brook) ("Ascension", 7.5)
Guild Hunter (short story "Angel's Wolf", 4.5)

This collection includes four novellas:
"Alphas: Origins" by Andrews, Ilona;
"Angel's Wolf" by Singh, Nalini;
"Ascension" by Brook, Meljean;
"Nocturne" by Shinn, Sharon

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,243,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible