Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris
2071481,158 (3.88)15

The Weeping Angels are one of my favorite type of monsters on Doctor Who and this book did a great job of giving an interesting story involving them. I think its a great addition to the New Series Adventure and, actually, probably one of my favorites. It was very well-crafted and I was very intrigued from beginning to end! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Mark has never gotten over the loss of his wife, Rebecca, in a car accident in 2003. Shortly after a chance encounter with The Doctor, Amy, and Rory in 2011, Mark finds himself zapped seventeen years into his past by a Weeping Angel. The Doctor is completely baffled why the Weeping Angels have changed their usual habits and sent Mark back within his own lifetime. What he doesn't know is that just before Mark was sent into the past, he received a letter from his future self telling him that if he follows every step in the letter, he can save his wife from dying.

Obviously this one isn't going to have much appeal for those outside of the Doctor Who fandom, but for those of us who label themselves Whovians, there's plenty to enjoy. While Morris' characterizations aren't perfect, there are some lovely character moments for Mark as he observes his own past from the outside and deals with the grief over the loss of his wife. Morris also does some interesting things with the Weeping Angels that will intrigue fans of this particular Doctor Who villain. If it strikes your fancy, I suggest picking it up (presuming that you've watched at least through the end of season 5 of new Who). ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 23, 2018 |
Rating: 4* of five

I still don't know who sent this book to me, but whoever you are, thanks.

I was gutted by the events on p223, really gutted; I remembered the event on p158 though and suddenly I got it, I understood what this book was about: Grieving, the process of losing your life when someone you're in love with dies and/or leaves you behind. The processes that take years to work themselves out, the lost time of happiness forfeited and the cruel hand of time stamping you with the stigmata of all that loss, which is to say aging.

It's a middle-grade book, and I'm quite impressed that these concepts are presented without either overexplaining or underplaying them and their importance to growing up. It's a book I'd give, as my friend Dan Schwent said, to a newbie to the Whoverse and let them get the lie of the land. (That wordplay will make sense after you've watched the tenth season of Doctor Who, I promise.) A worthy way to spend a few hours. I'm still scared of the Weeping Angels as I am not scared of the Daleks or the Cybermen...silly things...but the Angels scare me because they steal your life, not take it from you, and that difference is deeply unsettling.

One touch from a Weeping Angel and you're not dead. You're gone. Where? When? No way to know until you get there. The past is the one certainty, you're in the past, but what does that mean?

Think about it.

You've never lived. You know no one. The tech is low, lower, lowest, and you have no idea how or why you got there or what to do, how to live or make a living, maybe not even understand the language. And all so some creature can have dinner, which of course you never know but just suffer for it. Weeping Angels = great white sharks of time. So yeah, they scare me. This book makes me appreciate the Doctor's role as a real doctor more than I did before.

Go on, push the boat out, get yourself a Happy 2018 treat! Or else wake up in 1993, dazed and confused. ( )
  richardderus | Jan 5, 2018 |
A fast-paced little tale featuring Dr. Who's greatest villains, the Weeping Angels. The Angels toss a man suffering from loss into the not-so-distant past. The Doctor, Amy, and Rory need to figure out why. Well-written, not too deep, but some fun twists. ( )
  NickHowes | Aug 31, 2017 |
Enjoyable but a bit less lighthearted than I prefer. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
To my wife, Debbie
Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack!

"In 2003, Rebecca Whitaker died in a road accident. Her husband Mark is still grieving. He receives a battered envelope, posted eight years ago, containing a set of instructions with a simple message: 'You can save her.' As Mark is given the chance to save Rebecca, it's up to the Doctor, Amy and Rory to save the whole world. Because this time the Weeping Angels are using history itself as a weapon."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,503,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible