The Idea of America: Reflections on the…

The Idea of America: Reflections on the Birth of the United States (2011)

by Gordon S. Wood

This is a series of lecture notes that form a coherent whole, again describing the radicalism of the American idea. ( )
  kcshankd | Jun 18, 2015 |
Gordon S. Wood's book is a collection of his essays through numerous decades of scholarship. He provides a retrospective look and explanations about each work.

What makes him such an important historian in my estimation can be summed up in a paragraph from his introduction:

I don't believe that historians should take sides with the contestants of the past.... The responsibility of the historian, it seems to me, is not to decide who in the past was right or who was wrong but to explain why the different contestants thought and behave as they did (p. 21).
  HistReader | May 4, 2013 |
The preeminent historian of the American Revolution explains why it remains the most significant event in our history.
More than almost any other nation in the world, the United States began as an idea. For this reason, Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Gordon S. Wood believes that the American Revolution is the most important event in our history, bar none.
  albanypubliclibrary | Mar 1, 2011 |
To my friends and colleagues at Brown University

A Pulitzer Prize-winning historian of the American Revolution explains why it remains the most significant event in our history. In a series of elegant and illuminating essays, Wood explores the ideological origins of the revolution--from ancient Rome to the European Enlightenment--and the founders' attempts to forge an American democracy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,215,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible