Olivia's Birds: Saving the Gulf by Olivia…

Olivia's Birds: Saving the Gulf (edition 2011)

by Olivia Bouler (Author)

Eleven-year-old Olivia Bouler has drawn and illustrated a brief guide to endangered birds in an effort use book sales to contribute to the clean-up expenses for the oil contamination of the Gulf of Mexico.
Member:elizabethmccage
Title:Olivia's Birds: Saving the Gulf
Authors:Olivia Bouler (Author)
Info:Union Square Kids (2011), Edition: Illustrated, 32 pages

Work Information

Olivia's Birds: Saving the Gulf by Olivia Bouler

The book Olivia's Birds: Saving the Gulf was about an 11 year old girl who loves birds so she decided to raise money for the Gulf Oil Spill recovery. This book was beautifully written and i think it would be so inspiring for my 5th graders to read because they can relate to the main character, a girl that is their age. I chose to connect this book to the NGSS science standard about Earth and Human Activity. This standard asks students to obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.
  ashleyshort24 | Oct 20, 2019 |
Bouler writes an informational picture book about birds and wildlife conservation, and what you can do in order save the gulf. The illustrations are magnificent! I think this a great book for kids for a science class. ( )
  SRThompson | Nov 19, 2014 |
Olivia is a young lass that I have immense respect for. Like me, she loves birds, and drew them from a young age. Unlike me, she is very talented at 11 (it took me well into my 20s to become an accomplished animal artist). This is a collection of some of her favourite of her illustrations along with some information on the different stages of bird development. Charming and very inspirational to young artists and bird lovers! ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
An impressive debut title from eleven-year-old Olivia Bouler, a young would-be ornithologist who, upon learning of the disastrous Gulf Coast oil spill, set out to do something to help the region's threatened avian life, selling her bird portraits, and raising over $150,000 for the Audubon Society's recovery efforts. Olivia's Birds: Saving the Gulf is far more than just the story of that effort, however (although it is discussed at the end), but also provides lots of basic information about birds - different kinds (songbirds, birds of prey), and different habitats (woodland, seashore) - and is illustrated with Bouler's own artwork.

An engaging book, regardless of the age of the author, this title is made all the more impressive by her youth! Bouler is a talented artist, and obviously also a dedicated activist. I appreciated the author's evident love for her avian subjects, and also the inspirational message she seeks to impart, particularly to her fellow children, about the possibilities that exist for making positive change in the world. This Audubon Book - introduced by Steve Kress, the leader of Project Puffin - is highly recommended to young bird-lovers and eco-activists! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 29, 2013 |
Pretty inspirational! I love that the illustrations are so clearly done by a child but so so good! ( )
  alyson | Aug 23, 2012 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,393,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible