11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

11/22/63: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Stephen King (Author)

11,034691482 (4.21)1 / 677
On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)
Member:allip700
Title:11/22/63: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (2016), Edition: Reissue, 1120 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Work Information

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj, HoudeRat)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Othemts)
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Othemts)
    The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W. P. Kinsella (Othemts)
    American Gods: Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
1960s (22)

English (660)  Dutch (9)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (689)
Interesting story. If you like Stephen King, you will enjoy this. Especially liked the Derry-Dallas connection! ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
I wish you could rate things with half stars. Because I would definitely give this a 4.5. It wasn't quite enough to get to a 5 stars with me, but a 4 doesn't really show it's amazing detail and very interesting look at time travel. I like how the time travel was handled - very interesting and sufficiently complicated. I also liked the perspective of the 60s from a man from modern day.

I was a little disappointed by the end, but I suppose it was more realistic the way it did end. And I suppose i shouldn't have expected anything else from Mr. King. I recommend reading this if you're at all interested in the time travel angle! Even if you're not usually a fan of Mr. King. ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |
this didn't end up being what i expected it to be, had i given much thought to what i'd expected. he has a special knack for capturing this era. he really makes you feel it. i normally feel that he also has some incredible talent for character development, but i didn't feel that with this book. i never really cared about jake/george's relationship with sadie at all, and as i suspected, it was kind of crucial to care about them. i'm not even sure we really get all that much feeling for jake/george either. i mean, we know a lot about him, but he could have been a lot fuller than he was.

but the time period, and the secondary people, and the various places, and the history. even the central idea that really only comes out in the end. (not just about the butterfly effect and the past harmonizing, but about what we're capable of changing or not and what those changes really mean and, for lack of a better word, change.) all of that was done so well. the picture he painted of the places and the surrounding characters was detailed and great, but the main characters were more blurry to me. still, i liked this, and was definitely invested by the end. i think i especially liked the way he kept talking about the way the past harmonizes. it was a theme and a sentiment that felt right. (i didn't agree with all the rest, even though it was interesting, but this felt right.)

there was so much research that went into this. the historical detail seemed really well done to me. i didn't live through and don't know all that much about this time or the kennedy assassination, or no more than the cursory stuff that everyone knows. so i learned a lot here, and i am not sure i expected that from this book. he did such a great job evoking a feeling of the time.

i did think he went way too far with the earthquakes and the facial pustules and post-apocalyptic feel of the 2011 he returned to after saving jfk. i understand needing to have a reason to have to go back and not save him, turn history back to the way we know it to be. but this felt many steps too far. although i suppose he'd say that was part of the point. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Jan 1, 2022 |
Best book I've read in a while!! ( )
  Amy_Webb | Dec 10, 2021 |
I'm not always a huge Stephen King fan, and I don't always think his writing is that good. He's a great storyteller but sort of a pulpy writer. However. This one was good. Really good. Probably my favorite Stephen King book. The details were incredible. I really felt the era come to life. Of course in typical King fashion there are crossovers from his other books, but it wasn't terribly distracting. I got the feeling that he really did his research when it came to Lee Harvey Oswald's life and it shed a new light on the Kennedy assasination. The time travel stuff was great without being too "Doctor Who," you know, wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.
I'd also like to publicly thank Stephen King for creating librarian characters who are interesting, fully fleshed out humans rather than the grey, stern, bespectacled, sexless shushers that we usually see in fiction. I really appreciated it. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gassie, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, ErichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,141,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible