11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

11/22/63: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Stephen King

10,891684484 (4.21)1 / 671
On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)
Member:lescollins42
Title:11/22/63: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2011), Hardcover, 849 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj, HoudeRat)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Othemts)
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Othemts)
    The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W. P. Kinsella (Othemts)
    American Gods: Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
1960s (24)

English (653)  Dutch (9)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (682)
1st ever Stephen King book I've read and liked it. Don't know how it compares to the rest of his work, but the idea of time traveling always makes a good story. It's also one of the few fiction books I've read in the last few years, and I found it very enjoyable, perhaps because it's based on the historical event. My only complaint is that I had figured out the end within the first 100 pages - even though you go back in time to prevent a terrible thing from happening, perhaps other terrible things, or _MORE_ terrible things will happen based on your meddling. That, of course, is what our narrator finds out for himself, leading him to realize that hindsight isn't always 20/20. Loved King's descriptions of life in the US in the late 50's and 60's ("The land of universal smoking.") and how the narrators car only gets to 90K miles before it's done for. Glad that King takes the time during the book to talk about how polite and trusting people are - unless you happen to find yourself as a minority. Especially in the deep south. Highly recommended to historical fiction fans! ( )
  Jeff.Rosendahl | Sep 21, 2021 |
Maine high school teacher, Jake Epping, is led to a "rabbit hole" that when entered took him to another time period. The man who told him about it wanted him to go back to November 1963 and stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating Kennedy in Dallas. This he discovered alters history with many unintended consequences such as how would Kennedy have handled the Vietnam War and if mishandled what would history have looked like.

All is speculation by King but fun to read, Took me 200 pages to get into this novel and the further I went the more intriguing it became. One does learn a great deal of the history of the event. ( )
  lamour | Sep 13, 2021 |
Whenever I’m in the mood to read a long book, it’s always a struggle to find the right one. When you’re reading 500+ pages, you want to be sure that you’re not wasting your time. While Stephen King novels are a hit or a miss for me, I thoroughly enjoyed 11/22/63!

In my opinion, you have to be a talented author to write a book over 800 pages and not lose your readers. I was certainly invested throughout the entirety of 11/22/63. The story was slow, but didn’t necessarily feel like it was dragging. I also think longer books can be advantageous because there is more room to develop characters.

I would not recommend reading 11/22/63 if you are in a reading slump, but it is the perfect book to read over time. It’s nice to read a little every day because I felt more invested in the story.

Additionally, this book had elements that appeal to many different readers. The time travel aspect is ideal for Sci-Fi lovers, while the time period is perfect for readers who prefer historical fiction.

Overall, a pretty good read! ( )
  TheBiasedBibliophile | Sep 6, 2021 |
11/22/63 is the first Stephen King's book I've read. And I'm very happy that I've chosen this one.

In fact, I don't like horrors, and this book doesn't look like one. The idea is fascinating. Thanks to this book, now I know more about JFK, Li Oswald and the murder of JFK. I really liked the author's manner. It was chilling, tense, I just couldn't put the book away.

There was something I didn't like so much. It seemed to me that King is a little bit too cruel with his heroes. Things that happened to Sadie, then to Jake, and then to Sadie again... I understand that it's just how life is, but I was really sorry for them.

While I was reading the last chapters, I was a little bit afraid that the author may stay so cruel to the end and something bad will happen to Jake too. And I was really relieved by the end of the book.

So despite my fears and author's "cruelty"(which I really understand), I enjoyed this book very much)) ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |
This is easily my favorite King novel. The story never dropped pace and remained interesting and thrilling. Fantastic. I wish I could write something of this calibre. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gassie, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, ErichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,239,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible