My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir by Noelle…

My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Noelle Hancock

In the year leading up to her thirtieth birthday, the author, a former media blogger, turns to Eleanor Roosevelt for guidance as she spends the last months of her twenties pursuing a "year of fear" during which she embarks on many adventures.
Member:catherinehender
Title:My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir
Authors:Noelle Hancock
Info:Ecco (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages

Work Information

My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir by Noelle Hancock (2011)

After losing her job, and with birthday #30 looming, Noelle takes up Eleanor Roosevelt's challenge to do one thing each day that scares you.
The book is an enjoyable read, with Noelle sharing some of her undertakings and also some of what she's learning about Eleanor Roosevelt through reading her books. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
This book is a memoir of the author's experience around fear and courage - I liked the idea, but I think I have read a few too many "year-long" project books, so I am shelving this a little more than mid-way through. I just couldn't relate. However, if you like this genre, you will be sure to enjoy this book. ( )
  PlanCultivateCreate | Aug 18, 2018 |
Noelle Hancock loses her job as a blogger for a website for one of the current celebrity magazines. With no job in sight and having read a few books about Eleanor Roosevelt, she decides to spend the year dealing with her fears. They included skydiving, swimming with sharks as a few of the major fears. She tried to put herself out there in her fear every day in some manner.
It was an interesting book because it made me want to know more about Eleanor Roosevelt! I sometimes had trouble reading about someone who although she probably could have gotten a new job quickly - didn't. She spent the year spending money on adventures to conquer her fears - and write this book, so I guess there was an end to the means!
Enjoyable, quick read and I enjoyed the Eleanor insight. ( )
  NancyJak | Mar 27, 2016 |
Noelle Hancock provides us her experience of a year of facing her fears head on. I found her very easy to read, funny and insightful. Often I found myself unexpectedly pausing to reliving my own experiences and whether I handled them as best I could or did I take the easy way out and why did I. I also found the book as a good introduction for me to Eleanor Roosevelt. I knew very little about Eleanor but am thoroughly intrigued now to read more about her as she seems to be a fascinating person who accomplished amazing things and apparently put her mark on this country. ( )
  rayski | Mar 29, 2014 |
It is impossible not to like Noelle Hancock in her year long journey of self-discovery. Yes, she is lucky to be able to take a year away from paid employment to devote herself to nothing but facing her fears but she does not allow herself to paint an overwhelmingly flattering picture of herself.
Eleanor Roosevelt is a supporting character in the book and receives the same honest assessment that Hancock gives herself.

This book would be recommended for fans of books like Julie and Julia and similar memoirs as well as
self help fans looking for something along the lines of Augusten Burrough's recent book, This is How. ( )
  Vantine | Mar 14, 2014 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,367,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible