Drink Deep

by Chloe Neill

"Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and recently turned vampire Merit can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn or the calm before the storm. With the city in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times haven't been this precarious for vampires since they came out of the closet. If only they could lie low for a bit and let the mortals calm down. That's when the waters of Lake Michigan suddenly turn pitch-black--and things really start getting ugly. Chicago's mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows only the darkest magic could have woven a spell powerful enough to change the very fabric of nature. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for vampires and humans alike"--… (more)

English (61)  Piratical (1)  All languages (62)
AKA How the Hell did a series so good I bought all the current ebooks AT RETAIL PRICES (that's right folks) after the first book become a mess of such epic proportions I am doubting my ability to stay reasonable??

Look I admire Neill for the gumption to do what she did at the end of the last book. I'm sure, when it first came out and then the months before this came out and fixed that event, it was HELL for fans. What I find hard to swallow or concede is...is...well everything else in this book.

It's quite honestly a mess. it's like Neill had all these ideas and just threw them all at the book. In no particular order this is what Merit has to deal with in this book:

- Grief
- Emotionally horrifying nightmares
- (former) Mayor Tate olaying mind games
- Mallory being a Birch Diva Queen
- Catcher being a jerk
- Jonah trying to woo her (to the RG and to bed)
- Crazy elemental magic shit
- Dissolution of roles and offices
- Blood rationing
- Irrational tests from the GP
- The fallout of the Celina debacle
- Crazy human protestors
- Genocidal crazy human murderers
- President Kelly...that is the new Mayor hating all mutants...that is supernaturals
- Civil War over mutant...that is supernatural registration
- Willow...i mean Mallory having issues with magic

I mean. We're not talking a 1000page tome here guys. and while SOME of the above tie together, a lot was Neill setting up plots for future books thus making this book feel disjointes, crowded, and rushed.

Tasch and I both commented on how Neill is fond of dialing everything up to 180 off camera. Merit and Mallory's residual issues? Got worse but we never saw that, only saw them go from besties to practically frenemies over night. Mallory's increasing issues with magic? Well Merit found herself too busy to do more then consider that Catcher surely had it in hand or would tell her otherwise.

2 things saved this book from being 1 star--the 'my kids will look like this' discussion between Catcher and Jeff (felt so out of place considering Catcher was having BIG TIME issues with Mallory) and ah when Merit finally gives into her feelings of lust for someone.

And so we're clear, MORGAN SUCKS. He has such a bit part, but he manages to cock that up magnificently. ( )
  lexilewords | Dec 28, 2023 |
After the ending of Book 4 i was upset, flabbergasted and more. I am glad i was not the only one with this reaction and i am glad i continued reading book 5. Merit proves to be a strong woman who does everything she needs to keep her house and her friends/family save. ....
Lucky for me, i only have to wait a few more weeks for the next installment ( )
  Ivy_Skye | Apr 5, 2023 |
I actually lost this....wth! So until the library reorders, or I get a bad itch to buy it. Not done. Was ok before I lost it, but not great.

Found it. Paid the library already. Will finish and re-donate then. ( )
  Brian-B | Nov 30, 2022 |
This series of books is killing me. Argh. Chloe Neill iis amazing. ( )
  SwitchKnitter | Dec 19, 2021 |
A betrayal most vile! Good mystery, Neill. Enjoyed it till the end. Can't wait for the next one to hit the library! ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring...."
Alexander Pope
To Jeremy, with love.
(Now can I borrow twenty dollars?)
Late November
Chicago, Illinois

The wind was cool, the fall night crisp. A waxing moon hung lazily in the sky, so low it seemed close enough to touch.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,964,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible