dismiss

Dauntless by Jack Campbell

Dauntless (2006)

by Jack Campbell

Series: The Lost Fleet (1), Admiral John Geary (1)

The Alliance has been fighting the Syndic for a century-and losing badly. Now its fleet is crippled and stranded in enemy territory. Their only hope is Captain John "Black Jack" Geary-a man who's emerged from a century-long hibernation to find he has been heroically idealized beyond belief. Now, he must live up to his own legend.… (more)

English (59)  French (1)  All languages (60)
A fresh take on military science fiction that not only contains great characterization, plot, and thrill, but also addresses how space naval warfare would actually occur given the physics of our universe. Fleets of ships battle against one another against the firepower of their adversaries as well as the light time-delay of the location information of them, showing the true complexity of a naval officer aboard one of these vessels.

Where the book doesn't hold through is in the plot specific moments of obvious placeholder "what if" and "why" scenarios, in which one-dimensional flat, and exist solely to allow the main character to elucidate future space naval warfare strategy.

That being said, if you're looking for an awesome space science fiction space naval warfare thriller, look no further. I got my hands on the book last week, stayed up well past my bedtime that night reading it, unable to put it down until I finished it last night. Fun read for anyone that likes to think about "what would it be like" sort of thing. ( )
  lostmonster | May 19, 2020 |
Pretty easy read; but not real deep
  JohnLavik | Mar 29, 2020 |
I wanted to like this book, but it was overly simplistic and predictable.

Unrelated: for anyone who follows my feed to see what I'm reading, I didn't suddenly jump with both feet into YA fantasy, but I just figured out that my daughter was accidentally posting to Goodreads on my account for the past month... ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!
I also wrote a post comparing The Lost Fleet to Theirs Not to Reason Why by Jean Johnson here!

71 points/100 (3 ¾ stars/5)

Captain John "Black Jack" Geary woke up after a hundred years in survival hibernation to find that he has been revered as a hero. He also finds himself in command of a fleet in enemy territory with only one goal: get home. He is horrified to learn they are still in a war that has lasted a century and that his people have followed what he did in his last stand to near ruination. In an impossible situation, Geary has to live up to the his name and pull off a miracle.

I started the Lost Fleet with a lot of expectations for it, since it sounded like the complete opposite of my current favourite series. It is remarkable how much it is the complete and total opposite of everything I loved. You would think I would hate it, but Dauntless isn't bad! I enjoyed myself while reading. Once I started, I didn't actually want to put it down. The book even made it even more difficult to put down than it otherwise would have been because once it starts, it doesn't stop. Seriously, only a handful of things happen in Dauntless, yet I was enchanted because they were so rich with danger.

The entire premise of the Lost Alliance Fleet is to get home after the Alliance fleet attacked the Syndicate home system and suffered major losses. Our main character is the only one capable of getting them home - the legendary Black Jack Geary. Thought dead for nearly 100 years, they find him in stasis and wake him up. The Alliance has built him up over the years so their soldiers would think that Geary is a hero and what he did at his last stand was the only true way to fight. Geary is horrified to find this out. No one sane really wants to find that they're worshipped.

Geary is even more horrified to find out that he really is the only person capable of getting them home. He hates it when he finds out just how far his Alliance has fallen. The war was supposed to be over by this point, by his perspective. Yet, the quality of the soldiers and officers has gone down and every single policy they have seems geared to make them them lose! To top it all off, even their staunch morals have withered away under the demands of 100 years of war. The Alliance is supposed to be better than the Syndicate! Yet after year after year of war, morals and ethics just fall by the wayside against the desire to win. Despite not having the leadership experience necessary to lead this fleet, Geary is the only one that even still has the training left. He has to be the role model for the Alliance soul they have forgotten existed.

While the majority of the focus of Dauntless is on the societal problems Geary finds, there is also the fact they are deep, deep into enemy territory and running wounded. They have an inexperienced commander at the helm who knows nothing about their capabilities. After dumping the reader into a lot of confusion, the same amount Geary himself would find himself in, the story starts and just doesn't stop. We're constantly on the run from the enemy. We have to stay one step ahead, and that is hard with a force that is so ineffective after a century of war. I was enthralled because I had to know what was going to happen to everyone, right?

I really liked the premise. Though it was repetitious, I wasn't really bored by it. Each time it repeated itself, it added more and more to the story. I enjoyed watching the horror unfold. I cheered each new unveiling of information. This was a very good introduction to the series. We learn everything there is to know about how the series is going to go forward just from this first book.

I had some troubles connecting to the characters. I am definitely a character person while reading. I can handle a lot of problems with the plot if the characters are really good. So while I don't have many problems with the plot and I was entirely entertained by it, I had troubles connecting to the story. John Geary is the definite main character of the story, and there are only really 5 or so other characters that make a difference in the book. Yet none of them really stand out yet as characters. I don't care about them, I don't even really know who they are yet. Even with the one character we do have, Geary, I felt the story started a few weeks after when it should have. It felt like we should have started with when he woke up, but we didn't. We're just thrown into the middle of this huge thing with no context. As a character reader, I'm definitely having some difficulties.

Dauntless is the start of a six book long journey home. This is just step one on what is going to be a very, very long journey. Don't be surprised when you get to the end of the book and they've barely traveled anywhere, because this is just one small part of the journey. The series is the whole story, not Dauntless. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
This book was recommended to me both by GoodReads and by some friends, so I went into this with some expectations. All in all, I can say that this book is not quite on the level of some other books in this genre ([b:Leviathan Wakes|8855321|Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)|James S.A. Corey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1289046195s/8855321.jpg|13730452] comes to mind), but was still pretty engaging.

It managed to grab me pretty much from page one, and refused to let me go until the last page, which is more than I can say about some other books. So, all in all, I will definitely continue reading this series and would recommend fans of SciFi to give it a try, but unless it improves after the first book, I would probably recommend [b:Leviathan Wakes|8855321|Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)|James S.A. Corey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1289046195s/8855321.jpg|13730452] and the sequels over this one. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |

Rummel, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sander, RalphÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szmidt, Robert J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Christine and Larry Maguire, Good people and good friends who've made our lives richer by their being here.
For S., as always.
The cold air blowing in through the vents still carried a faint tang of overheated metal and burned equipment.
. . . "Democracies and republics cannot live with indispensable men . . ."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,372,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible