Harmony's Way by Lora Leigh
510None19,971 (3.81)2

Worth reading between other books when I need a change of pace. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 12, 2013 |
Harmony's Way
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Prior to her escape from the labs, Harmony Lancaster was breed as an assassin and trained to kill. Now on the outside, she seeks justice for the weak and innocent, which puts her in danger not only from racial purists but from Breed Law as well. To save her life, Harmony is placed in the care of Sheriff Lance Jacobs who can see the gentle and caring woman beneath the façade of a killer. Their new relationship is soon threatened on all fronts and Harmony and Lance will have to stand and fight in order for their love to survive.

Review:
The story has potential and the characters are likeable but the sex scenes tend to overshadow the plot.

Leigh seems to have reverted to the style of writing that characterizes the first books in the series in that the romance is hot but the mating is immediate and the relationship does not have enough time to build.

Lance was a great character in Megan’s Mark and definitely deserved his own book. That said, his characterization in Harmony’s Way is disappointing. Even though he is gorgeous and likeable, the overt dominance he displays is excessive. It is almost as if Leigh needs to prove that a purely human male can be as aggressive and protective of his mate as a breed male, and this is completely unnecessary. It is obvious that Lance is quite capable of standing his ground against whatever threat comes along without dominating Harmony in the process.

Harmony’s characterization is also problematic. At the beginning of the book, she is a completely independent woman and a ruthless killer but as the story progresses she seems to lose herself in the relationship with Lance and becomes weak and virtually helpless. While I appreciate a strong willed character learning to love and trust others, it was overdone here and I found it difficult to identify with her.

In terms of the plot, more information is provided about the possibility that the first lion breed, or Leo, has survived. However, this aspect of the storyline is not sufficiently developed. Moreover, there are too many potential threats to Harmony and once a villain is narrowed down, he turns out to be lackluster and does not constitute a real danger. There is no real build up of tension and suspense.

Despite my reservations about this book, I really enjoy the world that Leigh has constructed and I am interested in seeing what happens when Jonas meets his match down the road. Hopefully, the next book will be an improvement. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is a very good addition to this series. I loved Harmony the first time that I read the book and I love her more after reading the story a second time. I also love Lance. He found a special place in my heart because he cared so much for Megan, Megan's Mark. Lance is one of those alpha males that we all wish we could find. He is loyal, compassionate, and very dominant. He also doesn't take any nonsense from Jonah. Jonah is at his most manipulative in this story. Jonah is determined to save Harmony as well as force the first Leo out of hiding. Jonah thinks that Dane is the first Leo. Boy is he in for a surprise in one of the future books. Dane is almost as bad as Jonah. He also cares for Harmony and He had hoped that she would be his mate but of course that wasn't happening.

While Jonah breaks the back of H. R. Alonzo I don't think he is gone. I don't remember if he shows up in future books. I do hope that Breeds find a way to shut him up permanently and not cast any suspicious on the Breeds. The man is a menace and needs to feel what is like to have someone hound you just because you are different. He is a bully and needs to be treated as such.

FIRST FOR THE SERIES:

Two men rescued Harmony shortly after she escaped from the Labs in France. Dane Vanderdale and Ryan have been working behind the scenes killing off Council members and protecting the Breeds. Dane has also been protecting Harmony. This is the first book that Dane is mentioned in. He can and does caused almost as much trouble as Jonas does. Who is Ryan and is he a Breed, that is the million dollar question. Jonas and Harmony are brother and sister by blood, through the same mother. Jonas was meant to be a Breeder but his natural leadership and dominance made him Alpha One in the labs that he was created in. Lance Jacobs is also psychic. I am also guessing that this trait runs in this family. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jun 11, 2012 |
This book sounded like it was going to be excellent - I thought that Harmony, as a professional assassin, loner, and Lion-breed would be a very interesting character as she learned to compromise. Lance also sounded interesting, with a completely different kind of bond drawing him to her. And then they kissed...and blah. Mating heat took over both of their brains; Harmony became a total flop and sex-doll, Lance became an S&M top - whatever he wanted, and he wanted some weird stuff, they did. Ewww. There's one scene, late in the book, where Harmony gets to express herself again (when the assassins come after her) - that was good. And then she collapsed again as soon as Lance showed up. Again, writing the review long after I read the book; I think I remember it pretty well, and what I remember is the beginning, the fight scene near the end, and a blur of icky sex scenes. After this one I was...willing to give the Breeds another try, but not really excited any more. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 23, 2012 |
Sadly Lora Leigh doesn't do much with her action-adventure heroine. ( )
  lquilter | Jan 4, 2012 |
Prologue

Harmony Lancaster flipped on the television as she pulled the damp towel from her hair.
Chapter 1

Broken Butte, New Mexico

Two weeks later

She was being watched.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425213056, Mass Market Paperback)

The author of Megan's Mark continues her PURRfectly paranormal series.

Lora Leigh's series about genetically-altered humans with feline DNA is turning into a roaring success. When the Breeds desire the passions of the flesh, they can't help but get frisky.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:46 -0400)

"Sink your fangs into Lora Leigh's series about genetically altered humans with feline DNA. When the Breeds desire the passions of the flesh, they can't help but get frisky..."--Back Cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible