Ghost lights : a novel by Lydia Millet

Ghost lights : a novel (edition 2012)

by Lydia Millet

Member:wendyrs
Title:Ghost lights : a novel
Authors:Lydia Millet
Info:New York : W. W. Norton, 2012.
Rating:***

Ghost Lights by Lydia Millet

3.5 is what I'd like to rate this. I found it fascinating and funny, though it occasionally hit a little too close to home. I thoroughly disliked the ending though and felt like it was a letdown. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
A brilliant, quirky, deeply funny, sad and wise book about the human condition. I find it rare that a woman can sketch a convincing plausible male character. Ms Millet has done so with Hal; more than plausible in fact, a character who fully captures the strangeness of life. I ache with sadness upon reading this book and am filled with joy for having discovered Lydia Millet. That is all I can say. ( )
  TomMcGreevy | Sep 5, 2016 |
The more I think about this book the more I think it's supposed to be a pass-through point for the Extinction series the way that Hal feels like a pass-through for his family. His wife is cheating on him; his daughter is working for a phone sex service and he feels both that he doesn't know them and that he knows them exactly. It's like he can't deal with the fact that they are exactly the people he's always known they were. I'm not explaining this well. The book is about Hal's midlife crisis; after these revelations he decides to head to belize to find his wife's missing boss, a man also in search of himself. What happens from there is a blend of fantasy and reality, intersecting with other lives in ways he can't anticipate. I think Hal just has nowhere to go. Anyway I enjoyed the book but not as much as the other two in the series. ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Oct 11, 2015 |
This was an interesting story but a little weird. I did not understand how/why the author gave the book the title. Still enjoyed the book. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
I wrote a longer review, and then the internet ate it. So, the short version is: same great narrative voice as in How the Dead Dream. The narrator reminds me of Trollope's, with its compassionate, cold, mildly amused satire.

Unfortunately, GL also has the same, silly white man goes to Belize and finds the truth that, like, we're all in this together thing. That's a worrying trend. Hal in GL is a liberal communitarian, whereas T. in HDD was a libertarian, so that adds some variety, and gives Millet a good excuse to i) rip into libertarian stupidity and ii) rip into communitarian self-righteousness.

I'm curious to know how this ends up: I read that the final volume is about Hal's wife (thus, not a man) who stays in America. I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't win that deep, deep insight quite so easily as T. and Hal won it, indeed, that the changed perspective will point out the silliness of their revelations. Also, I hope the narrative voice remains the same. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |

Hal is a mild-mannered IRS bureaucrat who suspects that his wife is cheating with her younger, more virile coworker. At a drunken dinner party, Hal volunteers to fly to Belize in search of Susan's employer, T.--the protagonist of Lydia Millet's novel How the Dead Dream--who has vanished in a tropical jungle, initiating a darkly humorous descent into strange and unpredictable terrain.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible