A History of US: The First Americans:…

A History of US: The First Americans: Prehistory-1600A History of US Book One (A ^AHistory of US) (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Joy Hakim (Author)

Series: A History of US (1)

Presents the history of the Native Americans from earliest times through the arrival of the first Europeans.
Member:ladyshipchelle
Title:A History of US: The First Americans: Prehistory-1600A History of US Book One (A ^AHistory of US)
Authors:Joy Hakim (Author)
Info:Oxford University Press (2007), Edition: 3, 192 pages

Work Information

The First Americans by Joy Hakim (1993)

I liked it as a read along with my daughter during our home schooling days but we never finished. ( )
  Corinne2020 | Aug 21, 2021 |
This author does great work. Also recommended for adults requiring a review.
  themulhern | Mar 6, 2021 |
This year my elder daughter's history textbook is an eleven volume series called A History of US. Like The Story of the World series, it adds some life and character to the dull old facts and figures of your old fashioned history texts. What's even better is that I get to read it along with the Sonlight curriculum, which offers its own rebuttals to various statements in the text. Not that one really needs the extra commentary. Ms. Hakim does a rather nice job of pointing out that there are two sides to every history. Take this volume, for example. As you might infer from the title, the book talks about the native American population that preceded and encountered Columbus and his followers. Now when I was growing up, Native Americans were pretty much just supporting characters in my history texts. Some twenty years later, the pendulum had swung the other way, and they were the sublime innocents who were invaded by the rapacious white fortune hunters. In The First Americans, Ms. Hakim briefly covers the American civilizations that the Europeans found, pointing out their glories and their warts. Likewise, Columbus and the boys are presented as brave, idealistic, cruel and greedy. In A History of US, nobody's perfect... but we are rather interesting.
--J. ( )
1 vote Hamburgerclan | Jul 8, 2008 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
970.01
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
This book is for Sam, who always believed in these books and in me.

It is for all those who read the manuscript and supported and encouraged the idea of a children's storybook of history. It is for Byron Hollinshead, who made it possible. And it is for you, too, dear reader.
What's the point of studying history? Who cares what happened long ago?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,696,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible