Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, Book 2) by…

Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Lilith Saintcrow

Member:jessit
Title:Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, Book 2)
Authors:Lilith Saintcrow
Info:Orbit (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Dead Man Rising by Lilith Saintcrow

This was a good sequel, though there were times I was mad at Dante and times I wanted more relationship building. I didn't like it as much as the first book, but that is often the case (mostly due, I think, to the novelty of the new world, new ideas, new characters).

Still, a good read, and I will definitely be continuing the series. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
Synopsis: Dante's past is haunting her and killing people who were in the same horrible school she attended as a child. Her lost demon love still haunts her and Lucifer is still trying to influence her. Jace loves her and is still trying to protect her, but while Dante is fond of him, she cannot give herself to him.
Review: There is lots of action and lots of angst. The mystery is pretty good and the interactions give insight into the characters. This was a well-written book. ( )
  DrLed | Jul 23, 2016 |
I know a lot of people held issues with this book due to Dante’s almost non-stop grieving, but the end was such a nice change to me from the first book and made my heart grin. Unfortunately Valentine encounters yet another tragedy in this book – a new loss that I hated. The grim flashbacks that hinted her former childhood was horrible is even more in color and complex now. She comes to the heart of the horror in the battle finale and it was disturbing.

The pace is almost non-stop as Dante, the main character, rarely allows herself to sit down. She does think though, almost non-stop, with almost everything reminding her of her past or the horror of the last book’s ending. It can get tiring at times but I was grieving with her since I read these back to back.

Dante is incredibly violence so that is never shied away from. The flashback sequences are disturbing for more than violence, however; they also focus on rape and power exchange, control and abuse.
She is a necromance, but not in the same manner and power as Anita Blake, it’s completely different for this series. The world is woven well, although not with as many supernatural creatures a lot of series have. Little is done with her necromancy.

After reading this book I was curious about her evolving changes from her transformation and to see what the future holds. It’s a truly dark, gritty series that doesn’t shy away from mental horrors, depression, violence, and the scum of the earth. There isn’t any happiness in these books, nor peace. The height of the story and what drives the character is how unsettled and unbalanced she was and continues to be.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This novel picks up about ten months after the first one with all the problems we were left with. Dante does not what she is, she is grieving for Japhrimel and fielding calls from the Devil himself. When murders bring back bad, old memories Dante just does not know where to go. The world-building is great in this one. Saintcrow really gets into all the supernatural beings and some into their society. The best part was with this world is the vampires. It was a great scene that did so much for the wider world that Dante just does know or not want to get into. Dante is grieving so much of her thinking is about that and then reliving some bad stuff that happened to her as a child but I think that Saintcrow handles it well. It is bad without making Dante into a victim. She is not one and at the end of the novel, she knows it for sure. I look forward to the next book, Devil's Right Hand.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
The 2nd book in the Dante Valentine Series. I liked this book - I would have given it 3.5 stars if half stars were possible, but not quite enough for 4 stars. The premise is interesting and the main plot line was spooky and made for a page turner. My big criticism of this book was Too. Much. Inner. Monologue. OMG!!! We get it. You're tortured. You're shamed. You're guilty. You miss your dead demon lover. You don't even know what you are anymore. I GET IT. Move on with the plot, for the love of god!

Whew, ok, /rant. Again, I like this character and the universe that this story takes place in - very well fleshed out and lots of interesting possibilities for exploration, so I will continue with this series (made all the easier by the fact that the next installment is sitting on my bookshelf - thanks, mom!). But I seriously hope there is more action and less pity party next time around. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
To L.I. Peace. The charm's wound up.
The cavernous maw of the warehouse was like the throat of some huge beast, and even though it was large and airy, claustrophobia still tore at my throat.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031600314X, Mass Market Paperback)

"Dark fantasy has a new heroine."
--- SFX

When the dead call, she answers.

Bounty hunting is a helluva job, but it pays the bills. And it lets Necromance Dante Valentine forget her issues---like struggling with her half-demon side and the memory of her lover's death.

Now psychics all over the city are being savagely murdered---and a piece of the past Dante thought she'd buried is stalking the night with a vengeance. Too bad she's got no way to tell which fiend--or friend--to trust. Or that her most horrifying nightmares are gathering to take one kick-ass bounty hunter down for the count.

But that's only the beginning. The Devil just called. He's looking for Dante's lover--the one he killed...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

Bounty hunter Necromance Dante struggles with her half-demon side and the memory of her lover's death as psychics all over the city are being savagely murdered. Too make matters more horrifying, the Devil just called. looking for Dante's lover--the one he killed!… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,099,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible