Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices) by…

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices) (edition 2015)

by Cassandra Clare (Author)

When seventeen-year-old orphaned shapechanger Tessa Gray is kidnapped by the villainous Mortmain in his final bid for power, the London Institute rallies to save her, but is beset by danger and betrayal at every turn.
Member:Letora
Title:Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices)
Authors:Cassandra Clare (Author)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2015), Edition: Reissue, 656 pages
Collections:Fantasy
Rating:**
Tags:shadowhunter, fantasy, young adult, romance

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

English (156)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (159)
Absolutely loved it. One of my favorites out of all of her works. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
True rating - 1.5

I so wanted to DNF this, but I had to complete it as it is the last book of the series. It really tested my patience.

I had the same problem with all three books of the series. Though the plot was interesting, I kept losing interest in reading. There is something about repeated physical descriptions of people and places that annoys me. I felt that there needed to be more action and less description.

The sole reason I did not like the series is because the writing style did not suit my taste. However, you might want to check out the first book. If you liked it, you'll most likely enjoy the series. ( )
  anushanarasimhan | Feb 5, 2020 |
This review is also posted to my website Behind the Pages: Clockwork Princess

An army of infernal devices waits in the distance, it’s one goal to eradicate the Shadowhunters. Mortmain is still hunting for Tessa, determined to claim her and user her power against the Shadowhunters she holds dear. When she is taken captive, the Clave refuses to respond, caught up in their own politics. It is up to the London Shadowhunters to save Tessa. But can so few stand against an entire army?

I have never read a trilogy before where the protagonist is so thoroughly shoved into the background until the final book. The heart of this trilogy was based around the love triangle of Tessa, Will, and Jem. It was slow and tedious because the same things happened again and again. I suppose those who fancy romance novels would love this series, but I am not one of those people.

I was also surprised to find that a character we’ve known throughout the trilogy did a complete turn around with their beliefs. It was as if another character had the same name. It broke the rules set down by the previous two books just to make a plot device. There was weak reasoning given around it, but after book two I couldn’t believe it.

It took a good half of the book to pick up the pace. When it did start rolling with action, I was glued to it even though deep down I knew the ending to this trilogy. Anyone who has read Mortal Instruments knows how it ends.

Maybe my hopes were too high for this trilogy because I loved Mortal Instruments. I can’t say I enjoyed the Infernal Devices. ( )
  Letora | Jan 31, 2020 |
And here we are, my favourite book in the trilogy, and that's saying something because I really, REALLY love the first 2. I can't seem to leave this one alone once I finish, I have to pick it back up for at least 24 hours later and reread bits and pieces. Extraordinary storytelling. ( )
  Musscle | Jan 21, 2020 |
A pleasant, fun adventure with lots of laughs, smiles, and a few almost-tears. All-in-all, a nice series conclusion, though without the backbone of The Mortal Instruments, I definitely would not have liked it much, and do not like it nearly as much in comparison. There wasn't as much story to tell, unfortunately, though the characters grew on me. The death of Jessamine was an actually pleasant surprise from a literary standpoint (I'm not a sadist) as Clare pulled the same trick, or a very similar one at least, in City of Heavenly Fire with Isabelle's almost death, but obviously didn't follow through, leading to a rather undefeatable, unnecessarily powerful main team. By comparison, the losses in this book were just satisfying enough to warrant my mention. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sharman, DanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I held it truth, with him who sings

To one clear harp in divers tones,

That men may rise on stepping-stones

Of their dead selves to higher things.

--Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam A.H.H."
For the Lewis family:

Melanie, Jonathan, and Helen
"I'm afraid," said the little girl sitting on the bed.
(p. 11)

Marry on Monday for health,

Tuesday for wealth

Wednesday the best day of all,

Thursday for crosses,

Friday for losses, and

Saturday for no luck at all.

--Folk rhyme
(p. 31)

And much of Madness, and more of Sin,

And Horror the soul of the plot.

--Edgar Allan Poe, "The Conqueror Worm"
(p. 48)

THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT PITY.

THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT REGRET.

THE INFERNAL DEVICES ARE WITHOUT NUMBER.

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING.
(P. 48)

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON OUR SOULS.

In Clockwork Princess, Tessa and her companions travel all over the world as they race to stop the clockwork army before it's too late. As Jem's health worsens alarmingly and his friends search desperately for a cure, can Tessa choose between the two boys she loves — even if it means never seeing the other one again?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible