A Trick of the Light: A Chief Inspector…

A Trick of the Light: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector… (edition 2011)

by Louise Penny (Author)

Member:lauralkeet
Title:A Trick of the Light: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 7)
Authors:Louise Penny (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), 350 pages
Collections:Your library, North American
Tags:read in 2017, fiction, own, mystery, kindle, woman authors, american authors

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

English (100)  Spanish (2)  All languages (102)
Even though this is in the middle of the series, it was the earliest available in my local library. I am hooked!

Louise Penny creates interesting and intelligent characters, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this engaging book about ferreting out the murder suspect in a small artistic community outside of Montreal. Chief Inspector Gamache is a totally engaging character, and I'd gladly have him be our local Police Chief! ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
"Hearts are broken," Lillian Dyson carefully underlined in a book. "Sweet relationships are dead."

But now Lillian herself is dead. Found among the bleeding hearts and lilacs of Clara Morrow's garden in Three Pines, shattering the celebrations of Clara's solo show at the famed Musée in Montreal. Chief Inspector Gamache, the head of homicide at the Sûreté du Québec, is called to the tiny Quebec village and there he finds the art world gathered, and with it a world of shading and nuance, a world of shadow and light. Where nothing is as it seems. Behind every smile there lurks a sneer. Inside every sweet relationship there hides a broken heart. And even when facts are slowly exposed, it is no longer clear to Gamache and his team if what they've found is the truth, or simply a trick of the light. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jul 20, 2018 |
A Trick of the Light is the 7th book in the Chief Inspector Gamache series.

Summary: After years of struggling for recognition in the art world, guileless Clara Morrow is finally granted a solo show in a prestigious gallery. The gallery owners and reviewers, once scathingly dismissive of her work, now swarm around her like pretentious piranhas eager for a meal. Clara doesn’t sense the dangerously swirling undercurrents of antagonism until a woman’s body is discovered in her garden.

Chief Inspector Gamache is summoned to the Morrow’s residence. He immediately realizes that this was a murder. Clara and her husband, Peter, have no idea who victim is. The dead woman’s bright red dress and dyed blond hair would have stood out in the gathering of formal, subdued clothing at the gallery and the previous night’s party, yet no one present at either place or in the nearby town of Three Pines remembers seeing her.

But forensics proves that someone at that party killed her. The solution to the mystery is one that will take Gamache and his team of investigators searching deep into the feelings and motives of everyone involved, including themselves.

Comments: The Inspector Gamache novels by Louise Penny are not what I call “an easy read”. The individuals portrayed in the books are deep and flawed, like many of the real people in my own life. Each entry in the series builds on the previous one. Over the course of the series, I feel like I’ve gotten to know the team of detectives and the townspeople a bit too well. It becomes uncomfortable, disturbs my own emotions. I am an outside observer, yet fully drawn in as layer by layer my own preconceptions about the characters are torn away.

I come away from these novels feeling changed somehow. It is a rare novel that does that to me and even more rare in the mystery genre. I could nitpick these books, find fault, but I’m not going to even try. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
Can an author's writing get better each book she writes? Yes! Louise Penny's Gamache series do. I've enjoyed each novel more than her last; A Trick of Light continues to enthrall and delight. The wisdom, insight, sensitivity and kindness from Gamache and most of the residents of Three Pines are compelling counterpoints to the evil emotions and actions under investigation.

I've read many, many mysteries which I've enjoyed. Very few display the heart and soul of the human condition, good and bad, with the sympathetic gentleness used in Penny's series.

Her books help me understand the depth and complexity of our emotions, and the choices we make based on those feelings.

I love that her books are filled with love, optimism, hope and humanity.
  Bookish59 | Jun 23, 2018 |
Well, no, I didn't guess right, although it made fine sense in the end. I'm just a little more wicked than Penny is. Not my favorite Gamache, but certainly good enough.
  ffortsa | Jun 8, 2018 |
In her sly fashion, Penny has given us fair warning not to trust the antics of Three Pines’ eccentric residents and colorful visitors. Behind each volatile outburst of marital discord and professional envy lies some deeper truth involving the betrayal of trust and the need for atonement and forgiveness. With his sensitivity to the dark side of human nature, Gamache is not one to be distracted by the comical antics...
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Sep 16, 2011)

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
danielle71Cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sharon, Margaret, Louise and all the wonderful women
who helped me find a quiet place in the bright sunshine
Oh, no, no, no, thought Clara Morrow as she walked toward the closed doors.

In the green depths of spring, morning breaks on a woman splayed in a bed of flowers - her eyes wide, her neck broken.

Her death is a mystery; so is the woman herself. But, as Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team peer into the dark corners of the victim's past, they expose a secret that rots at the very heart of their community - a secret that will implicate someone they've trusted for years. And as Gamache knows too well, in the flickering shadows of death, the truth may be just a trick of the light.

Investigating a murder at a solo artist's Quebec village home, Chief Inspector Gamache and his team encounter deceptive nuances in the art world that distort every clue they find with tales of duality and broken hearts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible