The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel by…

The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Member:annasazi
Title:The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Tor Fantasy (2012), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy, audio book

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

English (80)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (84)
This is a fun novel in the Mistborn series, set a few hundred tears after the events of the original trilogy. If you enjoyed the other books, you will love this one too.

I'm a bit confused though, as I had heard this was supposed to be a standalone novel, but it's clearly setting up another book to follow. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
This book takes place centuries after the Mistborn series. Where Mistborn took place in your classic medieval Fantasy setting, this book takes place in a time period similar to the American West/Victorian era. This setting is why I marked the book as Steampunk. The Steam engine is the height of technology and tall metal frame buildings are just starting to be built.

One of the most fascinating aspect of the book is that all the characters and events that happen in the Mistborn trilogy are now religion. The epic events of those books are like the epic events of our Bible or the Koran. People follow different characters from the first books and take on their examples to live their lives.

The book is self contained, but has an epilog that leaves you thinking there will be more, though it doesn't seem like Brandon is in any hurry to write them. ( )
  rondavis | Apr 18, 2018 |
I was hesitant about this book. I liked the first 2 Mistborn books but I was not happy with the third one.

This book reboots the series far after the third book and adds a large dash of steampunk to the series. What was already one of my favorite magic systems is even better with steampunk.

I am also pleased to say that I loved the book. Probably one of my favorites for this last year. I will be reading the next one immediately. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book! Brandon Sanderson sucked me into this world yet again, even if my favourite characters are gone. I've definitely found some new ones :) I love how the world has developed and I cannot wait to read more :) ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
2015 - re-read after I didn't remember much of it while reading the sequel. I liked it a better than most books I've forgotten so completely. ( )
  quondame | Dec 27, 2017 |
Highly recommended for fantasy fans, especially followers of the original trilogy. This fantasy is not a stale visit to a fondly remembered setting. Rather, it offers a fresh view of how a world can grow, building new dimensions into the best of the old. Sanderson continues to show that he is one of the best authors in the genre.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, William Baer (Oct 15, 2011)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joshua Bilmes

Who is never afraid to tell me what is wrong with a book,
then fight for that same book no matter who else gives up on it.
Wax crept along the ragged fence in a crouch, his boots scraping the dry ground.

Fresh from the success of The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson, best known for completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time®, takes a break to return to the world of the bestselling Mistborn series.

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn, who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

"Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds. Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history--or religion.Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in thefrontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice. One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with hisAllomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,043,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible