Walt Whitman: The Measure of His Song by Jim…

Walt Whitman: The Measure of His Song

by Jim Perlman (Editor), Dan Campion (Editor), Ed Folsom (Editor)

241659,927 (4)None

This is a good book that is simply not meant for me. It is a collection of poetry and prose pieces that pay homage to Whitman's work. They are arranged chronologically and are international in scope, so they provide an excellent view of how Whitman was perceived by different generations and different schools of writers.

Unfortunately, Whitman wrote long poetry that doesn't really grab me, so I've always had trouble reading him. The homages are written in a similar vain. I'm going to pass this one to someone who hopefully will appreciate it more.
  aulsmith | Mar 1, 2015 |

Perlman, JimEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campion, DanEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Folsom, EdEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

First published to wide critical acclaim in 1981, this revised and expanded monumental anthology charts the ongoing American and international response to the legacy of the seminal poet Walt Whitman (1819-1892). Beginning with Ralph Waldo Emerson's famous 1855 letter ("I greet you at the beginning of a great career..."), this new edition contains responses from Thoreau, Pound, Lawrence, Neruda, Borges, Ginsberg, Jordan, Duncan, Le Sueur, Rich, Snyder and Alexie, among many others.

"I know of no more convincing proof of Walt Whitman's impact upon the poetic mind (both at home and abroad) than this collection of tributes by poets -- in prose and verse" -- Gay Wilson Allen, The Solitary Singer.

Includes 17 black & white photos.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:17 -0400)

First published to wide critical acclaim in 1981, revised and expanded in 1998, and now re-issued as a corrected second edition (2014), this monumental anthology charts the ongoing American and international response to the legacy of the seminal poet Walt Whitman (1819-1892). Beginning with Ralph Waldo Emerson's famous 1855 letter ("I greet you at the beginning of a great career..."), this edition contains responses from Thoreau, Pound, Lawrence, Neruda, Borges, Ginsberg, Jordan, Duncan, LeSueur, Rich, Snyder and Alexie, among many others "I know of no more convincing proof of Walt Whitman's impact upon the poetic mind (both at home and abroad) than this collection of tributes by poets -- in prose and verse" -- Gay Wilson Allen,The Solitary Singer. Includes 17 black & white photos.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,504,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible