The Big Picture by Ben Carson

The Big Picture (edition 2000)

by Ben Carson, Gregg Lewis

111None108,277 (3)None
Member:salihu
Title:The Big Picture
Authors:Ben Carson
Other authors:Gregg Lewis
Info:Zondervan (2000), Paperback, 272 pages

The Big Picture by Ben Carson

I have a LOT of respect for this man. His story is inspiring, particularly to those of us facing unique challenges with our children. Kudos to you, Dr. Carson, for your pioneering work in separating conjoined twins. This was a fascinating read, and I know I will read it again. ( )
  nevusmom | Jan 7, 2008 |
Subtitle: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

favorite chapter: move beyond victim mentality.

T Talent, God-given to everyone
H Honesty
I Insight
N Nice
K Knowledge

B Books
I In-depth learning
G God

Decisions and priorities need to be based on principles.

From Publishers Weekly
In 1987, pediatric neurosurgeon Carson performed a successful operation that separated two twins born joined at their heads. He has been recognized worldwide for his extraordinary ability to perform intricate medical procedures like intrauterine brain surgery in his dedication to saving lives. But, as he says in this spiritual memoir, he wasn't always so successful. Carson recounts his young life growing up fatherless and with limited opportunities in Detroit. The change in Carson's life came very early, when his mother decided that her children could succeed in spite of their circumstances. Carson began reading two books a week in the third grade and was soon so hungry for knowledge that he read anything he could get his hands on. He performed so well in high school that he was accepted at Yale, and he is now the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins. Success, he says, is a matter of focusing on the big picture and not the details. So often when we concentrate on the tiny details of life, we forget that God has a larger purpose for us. Using anecdotes from his medical career and scattering biblical illustrations throughout, Carson asserts that we can get a glimpse of the big picture by viewing hardship as an advantage, overcoming a victim mentality and determining priorities. He proposes that if we stop periodically and ask ourselves three questions?When my life is over, what do I want to be remembered for? What do I want to be doing five, 10, and 20 years from now? What do I want to be sure I am not doing five, 10, and 20 years from now??we will have an idea about the ways that the Big Picture can direct our lives. Carson's lively storytelling will capture the hearts of his readers.
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.
  lgaikwad | Jul 20, 2007 |

Ben Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, Greggmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031023834X, Paperback)

Dr. Ben Carson is known as the originator of ground-breaking surgical procedures, a doctor who turn impossible hopes into joyous realities. He is known as well as a compassionate humanitarian who reaches beyond corporate boardrooms to touch the lives of inner-city kids. What drives him? The Big Picture. A vision of something truly worth living for, something that calls forth the best of his amazing talents, energy, and focus. In The Big Picture, Dr. Carson shares with you the overarching philosophy that has shaped his life, causing him to rise from failure to far-reaching influence. This book is not about HOW to succeed---it's about WHY to succeed. It's about broadening your perspectives. It's about finding a vision for your own life that can reframe your priorities, energize your efforts, and inspire you to change the world around you.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:51 -0400)

In "The Big Picture", Carson shares the spiritual and philosophical foundations that shaped his life, causing him to rise from defeat to far-reaching influence. This book is not about how to succeed, it's about why to succeed. It's about broadening one's perspectives, and finding a vision for life that can reframe priorities, energize efforts, and spark a desire to change the world forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible