Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall)…

Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall) (edition 2004)

by Patricia MacLachlan (Author)

Member:kidsread
Title:Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall)
Authors:Patricia MacLachlan (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Edition: Reprint, 160 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:juvenile, fiction, chapter, easy chapter, family life

Caleb's Story by Patricia MacLachlan

The third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall-series.

I just love this series of books that resembles The Little House on the Prairie and also is told from the children’s perspective. The first two books from Anne’s perspective - she’s a teenager now and leave the family to study and work in the city - and hands over the diary to her brother Caleb.

Anna has done something terrible.
She has given me a journal to fill.
"It's your job now," Anna says.

This time the crisis in the family is not drought - well another form of drought - a deep seated conflict between Caleb’s father and grandfather - it’s exposed when the grandfather comes to visit them after years of silence and absence.

Patricia Maclachlan again writes in sparse, poetical language with wonderful wisdom - again the mother Sarah is the cornerstone in the family and tries to hold everything together.

Caleb: “… I want most of all for you to forgive Grandfather. I want you to forgive Grandfather so I can grow up and be just like you.”

Another fine reading by Glenn Close who also stars as Sarah in the movie-adaptations. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Mar 16, 2016 |
This would be a good book to use when talking about the home front of world war i. I thinks students will like this book because it will give them a new perspective that they probably haven't heard before. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
The narrator in this series changes from Anna to Caleb in this volume. The family is growing older and closer and larger. Sarah has had a baby, Cassie, and another member of the family has arrived from the past, Jacob's father. The two men have some relationship issues to work through before they can become one big happy family.
A simple book for young readers. A nice introduction to life on the prairie. ( )
  EmScape | Apr 26, 2015 |
Lovely continuation of the Whitting family as they are introduced to a new member who brings happiness to some and pain to others. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 17, 2014 |
Anna has given me an arduous task. I,Caleb, must continue writing the story of our family life. I don't like journal writing and have no talent for words. We work on a farm, we go to school. Besides nothing happens here or so I thought. Cassie and I find a strange man living in our barn.This man,John, (our long-lost grandfather) joins our family. My journal writing comes to life!

"The wind howls outside, the snow and sleet hitting the windows like stones there. Inside it is peaceful. But John doesn't look peaceful at all. He looks like he has secrets. I will find out what they are." ( )
  shsunon | Oct 2, 2014 |

Anna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.

In Anna′s journal the words walk across the page like bird prints in the mud. But it is hard for me. It is hard for me to find things to write about.

"It′s your job now," Anna says as she hands Caleb her journals, asking him to continue writing the family story. But Sarah, Jacob, Anna, Caleb, and their new little sister, Cassie, have already formed a family, and Caleb fears there will be nothing left to write about. But that is before Cassie discovers a mysterious old man in the barn and everything changes. Everyone is excited about the arrival of a new family member except for Jacob, who holds a bitter grudge. Only the special love of Caleb, and the gift he offers, can help to mend the pain of the past.

Caleb′s Story continues the saga begun by the Newbery Medal-winning Sarah, Plain And Tall and its sequel, Skylark, spinning a tale of love, forgiveness, and the ties that bind a family together.

Ages 8-10

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

Sequel to: Skylark. The stranger lurking on the Witting family's prairie farm turns out to be their long-lost grandfather, whose presence plus prodding from Sarah forces Jacob to deal with his past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,725,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible