dismiss

Life on Mars: Poems by Tracy K. Smith

Life on Mars: Poems (edition 2011)

by Tracy K. Smith (Author)

A collection of poems in which Tracy K. Smith examines the discoveries, failures, and oddities of humans.
Member:Axmyman
Title:Life on Mars: Poems
Authors:Tracy K. Smith (Author)
Info:Graywolf Press (2011), Edition: 59124th, 88 pages

Life on Mars: Poems by Tracy K. Smith

Recently added bypeopleslibrary, private library, miketmoore, Caffeinated, bookwyrmm, wearyhobo, mskenmedy, Lilye

Smith's poetry is so approachable yet deep that it is easy to see why she was a poet laureate. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 22, 2020 |

Once upon a time, a woman told this to her daughter:
Save yourself. The girl didn’t think to ask for what?
She looked into her mother’s face and answered Yes.
Years later, alone in the room where she lives
The daughter listens to the life she’s been saved from:
Evening patter. Summer laughter. Young bodies
Racing into the unmitigated happiness of danger.

Occasionally quotable, thoroughly engaging. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
Pulitzer Prize winning collection of poetry from Tracy K. Smith. Split into four parts this beautiful and haunting collection will have a lasting impression on readers. One of my favorite passages is even about a library:

"Sometimes, what I see is a library in a rural community.
All the tall shelves in the big open room, And the pencils
In a cup at Circulation, gnawed on by the entire population.

The books have lived here all along, belonging
For week at a time to one or another in the brief sequence
Of family names, speaking (at night mostly) to a face,

A pair of eyes. The most remarkable lies." ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 27, 2018 |
Beautiful and thought-provoking poems that deal with space, death, birth, and David Bowie. It's clear to see why this collection won the Pulitzer! ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | May 31, 2018 |
This was the first book I bought in NYC, and the Book Riot Live conference, and it's the book I carted around the city in my purse, reading in coffee shops and over lunch. When I bought it, I thought the title was referencing Mars, the planet, rather than David Bowie, which was an unexpected resonance -- the high school friend I was staying with in Harlem is dating Iman's daughter. Bowie's step-daughter. There were a number of Bowie stories that weekend.

Now, in between reading this book and writing the review, David Bowie has died. And so much of this book is about death and remembrance and what strings us all together that I need to read it again. All of it again.

This is definitely one of those books of poetry that must be kept on the shelf. To be pulled down, again, in times of need. To read when missing a lost loved one. When feeling connected to the whole universe. When needing to feel connected to the whole universe. When darkness baffles us. When it is all too clear. ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,625,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible