We're Different, We're the Same

by Bobbi Kates

Illustrations and simple rhyming text show that while the body parts of various human and Muppet characters may look different, they have similar uses.

This book describes the physical differences, mouth, nose, hair, eyes. It also describes the emotional differences. It compares our differences and similarities with the colors of the rainbow. They are all different, however, they make the rainbow beautiful. We are all different but at the same time we all make the world a beautiful and fun place to live. ( )
  vberthiaume | Nov 8, 2020 |
This book can be used to teach diversity ( )
  SkylerStanley | Apr 27, 2020 |
This book is about everyone's physical and emotional differences and similarities. It talks about our skin, noses, hair, interests, and feelings. The root of the book is that it is okay that we are different, because we are all wonderful in our own way.

I love this book, because it is so important, especially in this day, that we learn it is okay for our friends to be different than us. I would read this book to high schoolers; it promotes a message that everyone needs to hear; "We are different, we're the same, and we are all wonderful".

As I mentioned earlier, I would read this to any age or grade I taught. We all need refresher on kindness. I might split the class in pairs, with kids they don't know very well, and have them interview each other. This would be a great way to promote unity in the classroom. ( )
  ambybeth | Feb 12, 2017 |
Summary:
We’re Different We’re the Same is a picture book that uses sesame street characters and people from different ethnic groups to explain although one may look differently from another we are the same. In the beginning of the story, the author uses a picture of a nose as his first example of similarities. The author speaks of how noses may be different colors, shapes, and sizes; however, all noses are the same because they breathe, sniff, and sneeze. The author uses similar examples for hair, mouths, skin, eyes, and bodies. In each person they are different but actually the same because they have the same functions in everyone. At the end of the story the author states, “We’re different, that’s what makes the world so much fun… So aren’t you glad you look like you?”

Personal Reaction:
This multicultural picture book is a great tool for early childhood students, especially preschool because of the use of the sesame street characters. In one of my preschool classes, one of my students who is white, was fascinated by the hair texture of one of the African American little boys. She would always say, “Mrs. Felton, can I rub his hair for my hands?” She wanted to I guess feel his hair in his hands. I would always tell her to ask him first and he would always say yes.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) Teacher shows students a brown egg and a white egg. Have students feel and hold each egg. Have students feel and hold each egg. Ask Students to name similarities and differences in the eggs. Crack the eggs and show students both eggs are yellow and the same on the inside.
2.) Create a We’re Different We’re the Same book and include a classmate. Students bring in a few photographs of themselves to exchange with the class. Students will place a picture of themselves on the front cover. Inside the book students will place pictures of their classmates and write captions on their similarities.
3.) Teacher creates a classroom We’re Different We’re the Same book with pictures of the students with captions of similarities for the students to use and look at throughout the school year.
  YolandaFelton | Mar 26, 2015 |
This book is great for young children. It shows that even though we are all different, we are all basically the same. It teaches children to accept everyone no matter how they look, what race they are, etc. This is a good book for every child and is also great for those with multi-racial families. ( )
  melthompson | Apr 21, 2014 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,136,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible