Mangaman by Barry Lyga

Mangaman

by Barry Lyga, Colleen Doran (Illustrator)

Ryoko Kiyama, a character from a Japanese comic book, or manga, falls through a rip into the real world--the western world--and tries to survive as the ultimate outsider at a typical American high school.
Recently added byrena75, dandelionlily

The manga world meets western comics. . . . When Ryoko falls into a "rip" in his world, he is transported to the "real" world, or rather, an americanized comic book version of it. Ryoko falls immediately in love with Marissa who also finds him exotic and appealing. The gags here are that Ryoko's expressions and emotions, familiar to manga fans, are actually seen by the people he encounters. Speed lines fall from the air, Ryoko's eyes turn to hearts and his fist triples in size--all to the horror of those around him. Unfortunately, this device doesn't sustain the book and the storyline itself is weak. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
Ryoko falls into an americanized graphic novel from a manga. He tries going to school and falls in love with Marissa. A lot of people are against the two of them but they keep trying to persevere.

The concept is interesting but it didn't feel fully fleshed out to me. I wanted to like it but it felt like Lyga was relying a little too much on the star crossed lover thing without explaining as much as I wanted. I'm going to put a little more distance between myself and the book and see how I feel then. ( )

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Doran, ColleenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,554,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible