The Trouble With Spells

by Lacey Weatherford

20614104,565 (3.88)None
Portia Mullins had always lived the life of a normal teenager, up until her sixteenth birthday. She is then informed by her grandma that she is actually a witch who is a descendant of a long line of witches and warlocks. After overcoming her disbelief she finds that being a member of the coven comes with one great perk in the form of the school's handsome bad boy, Vance Mangum. Vance and Portia have an immediate connection as a budding romance begins, only to be threatened by turbulent skies on the horizon as Vance's checkered past rears its ugly head to haunt them. Portia is forced to use her untried powers in defense of everything she loves in a desperate attempt to hold on to the one thing that really matters in her life.… (more)

Read in College
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015) ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
What a cute story :D ( )
  Wasabiishot | May 9, 2017 |
I'm apologising straight way because I disliked this book to the point where it was really hard for me to finish reading it. Maybe because I can't stand Twilight, and this had Bella and Edward written all over it. That is if you replace vampires with witches.

This was so sweet and idyllic, my teeth hurt. Vance is this God-like leather clad gorgeous teenage warlock who watched Portia since she was 14 because she is his soul mate. Now Portia is 16 and her gran tells her a family secret - she is a witch and by the way would she like to join the local coven?

At the same time Vance who is in the same coven comes on to Portia. They start this intense sudden relationship when he explains that they are soul mates, and he loves her, and of course they make sweet magic together (sorry for the pan!)... I always disliked the idea of soul mates. I like when the fire builds slowly, people get used to each other, work on their relationship...

My second issue is magic use. The descriptions is textbook Wicca 101, no deviations, and Portia is this super witch who doesn't have to work for her magic at all. Nothing has a cost, levitating crockery, painted walls or magically clean room, - no problem, it just happens because she wants it not because she learned and worked hard for it. To my opinion you give and you take - you can't just take all the time, there should be consequences. Also because the magic use is so traditional, it just feels a bit blah, there is no spark in it.

At last, the obsessive relationship was never my thing. These two share each other dreams and thoughts, Vance watches over Portia and sleeps in her room, even binds her to him so they feel pain when they are away from each other. They are so into each other there is no personality left. Eh, no thank you.

I feel like I'm not making much sense, but although the language in the book is beautiful, for me it was a beautiful nightmare. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This series is a truly addicting one. I got the first book for free long ago, and then I subsequently bought every other book that followed because I couldn't get enough. Lacey's ability to weave a story and to create characters that are not only memorable, but enjoyable as well, is a true testament to her skill as an author. The storyline never stopped moving, and the action didn't stop, even up until the final page. Looking for critiques on the book, I can't even really find any, to be truthfully honest. I enjoyed the book from cover to cover, and this is the third time I have read it through! For anyone who is a fan of magical novels, and of characters who you never want to let go, then this is the book for you. I especially liked the way she addressed the darker aspect of magic--very interesting, and ingenious! ( )
  AllCrazyHere | May 7, 2014 |
Free ebook on Amazon.
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,633,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible