The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

The Daylight War

by Peter V. Brett

Recently added byprivate library, Yoyis13, _rixx_, Bludofthefold, MattMaihi, eshaw27, medinm0, CardWitch

English (34)  German (2)  All languages (36)
Very exciting! And the ending.... can’t wait to start the next book. ( )
  Griffin22 | Sep 12, 2018 |
The **Dailight War** by *Peter Brett* (third volume of his **Demon Cycle**) was really good fantasy – and yet disappointing. The start of the series seems to have raised a bar the other books can't quite meet. While my criticism of the second volume (too little character development) is met and answered beautifully on all counts, the story drags along a lot. While showing known scenes from a second viewpoint was cute in the second volume, it grew tedious here, and I felt that the pacing between story development and flashbacks was uneven. There was a lot I liked – we get to delve deeper into Krasian culture, for instance (which, to me, is still the most tiresome part of that worldbuilding). But all things considered, not that much happens when measured by the first volume, even if the book fares pretty well compared to regular fantasy novels. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
What a cliff hanger ;)! Pretty much need to see if the next book is done. Really hope it is after that ending.

*edit. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 2015 for the next book? I wish I had the magical sense to know if I'll really enjoy a series... like this one... and wait until the full series has been written. 1-3 years between installments is like a form of slow torture. Very very slow. wah. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
better than 2, even though there were side stories, the story moved forward well and felt mite cohesive. a solid 4 ( )
  Chris.Johnson | Jan 29, 2018 |
I had The Daylight War pre-ordered for quite a while, and so I was pretty excited when it finally arrived, and ended up finishing it the same day.

We pick up the story right about where we left off in The Desert Spear. Our heroes (Arlen and Jardir) are now aware of mind-demons and mimic demons thanks to the attacks they both survived independently. They also realise that there will be a massive attack when the moon is full again, so they start preparing - Jardir in the ex-Fort Rizon and Arlen in Cutter's Hollow. The star of the book isn't the present-day story, though, it's the flashbacks to Inevara's story.

The Daylight War is the best book in the series so far. I really enjoy Brett's slow expansion of the world and the protagonists - so far, both his sequels have taken the one-dimensional antagonist from the previous book and turned them into a sympathetic protagonist. Inevara handles this treatment even better than Jardir. She ends up being my favourite character so far, maybe because she's almost always in control of herself, even when the dice throw surprises at her (and they throw quite a few). Even when she's consumed by doubt, she takes action and adapts as necessary - no other characters in the series do that so well. It's a pretty classic story - poor but smart girl gets chosen, goes to "school" with a bunch of other people who are jealous, etc. The dice are very interesting - I wonder if we'll ever find out more about how they tell the future.

The other characters have also changed and grown - some for the better. Rojer has finally acquired some self-confidence, probably helped by his newfound relationship. I'm really glad he stopped mooning over Leesha, but I still find the progression of his new relationships a bit unbelievable - especially given that most of the book takes place over a month. I mean, I'm glad it works, Rojer is way less annoying, so I guess I won't complain too much.

Jardir and Arlen seem to have turned into zen masters, except for their very rash decision towards the end of the book. They've developed extremely strong powers, and a patience and understanding to match. This makes them kind of boring, since they're always being reasonable and don't really have any internal conflict. I don't want to say much about the ending, but I didn't approve of it at all - I think it belies the leadership that they've both seemingly accepted. But then, there's a lot of personal history there - maybe that was the internal conflict.

The other characters - Renna is scary. She always seems like she's one second from losing his mind, and Arlen is the only thing keeping her together. I'm glad they're working, but I still have the feeling there's a looming betrayal. Leesha didn't seem to have a lot to do in this story except be sad, so I hope she gets better next book. I do like Thamos, he seems nice, but I'm afraid to think that; the next book will probably focus on how he's all screwed up inside.

The general lasciviousness in this book seems lower than the other books, which is good. There's still too much sex and rape for my tastes, but at least there's a lot more fading to black, and Leesha is being described without so much focus on her body. I'm still somewhat troubled by Krasian society and the casual way in which rape is treated (at one point, a character is described as having a habit of visiting another character's home and raping the first daughter or wife he sees - how does that even work?!) But Krasian society is changing slowly, so that's good, I guess.

I should probably say a bit about the present-day events - they did advance the plot, and we found out a lot more about demons through some demon PoVs. It took a backseat to the growth of the characters, though, and that was totally fine with me. I'm guessing a lot more will happen next book on that front - a lot of the things that did happen seemed like setup.

One last thing: beware the cliffhanger ending. Aside from that, it was a great book and I'm eagerly waiting for The Skull Throne.
Comment ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
For my parents, John and Dolores, who still read together on the couch at night
Inevera and her brother Soli sat in the sunlight.

On the night of the new moon, the demons rise in force, seeking the deaths of two men, both of whom have the potential to become the fabled Deliverer, the man prophesied to reunite the scattered remnants of humanity in a final push to destroy the demon corelings once and for all. Arlen Bales denies he is the Deliverer at every turn, but the more he tries to be one with the common folk, the more fervently they believe.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,927,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible