The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

The Daylight War (edition 2013)

by Peter V. Brett

Member:towo
Title:The Daylight War
Authors:Peter V. Brett
Info:Harpercollins, Paperback
Tags:fiction, fantasy

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

English (30)  German (2)  All (32)
I had The Daylight War pre-ordered for quite a while, and so I was pretty excited when it finally arrived, and ended up finishing it the same day.

We pick up the story right about where we left off in The Desert Spear. Our heroes (Arlen and Jardir) are now aware of mind-demons and mimic demons thanks to the attacks they both survived independently. They also realise that there will be a massive attack when the moon is full again, so they start preparing - Jardir in the ex-Fort Rizon and Arlen in Cutter's Hollow. The star of the book isn't the present-day story, though, it's the flashbacks to Inevara's story.

The Daylight War is the best book in the series so far. I really enjoy Brett's slow expansion of the world and the protagonists - so far, both his sequels have taken the one-dimensional antagonist from the previous book and turned them into a sympathetic protagonist. Inevara handles this treatment even better than Jardir. She ends up being my favourite character so far, maybe because she's almost always in control of herself, even when the dice throw surprises at her (and they throw quite a few). Even when she's consumed by doubt, she takes action and adapts as necessary - no other characters in the series do that so well. It's a pretty classic story - poor but smart girl gets chosen, goes to "school" with a bunch of other people who are jealous, etc. The dice are very interesting - I wonder if we'll ever find out more about how they tell the future.

The other characters have also changed and grown - some for the better. Rojer has finally acquired some self-confidence, probably helped by his newfound relationship. I'm really glad he stopped mooning over Leesha, but I still find the progression of his new relationships a bit unbelievable - especially given that most of the book takes place over a month. I mean, I'm glad it works, Rojer is way less annoying, so I guess I won't complain too much.

Jardir and Arlen seem to have turned into zen masters, except for their very rash decision towards the end of the book. They've developed extremely strong powers, and a patience and understanding to match. This makes them kind of boring, since they're always being reasonable and don't really have any internal conflict. I don't want to say much about the ending, but I didn't approve of it at all - I think it belies the leadership that they've both seemingly accepted. But then, there's a lot of personal history there - maybe that was the internal conflict.

The other characters - Renna is scary. She always seems like she's one second from losing his mind, and Arlen is the only thing keeping her together. I'm glad they're working, but I still have the feeling there's a looming betrayal. Leesha didn't seem to have a lot to do in this story except be sad, so I hope she gets better next book. I do like Thamos, he seems nice, but I'm afraid to think that; the next book will probably focus on how he's all screwed up inside.

The general lasciviousness in this book seems lower than the other books, which is good. There's still too much sex and rape for my tastes, but at least there's a lot more fading to black, and Leesha is being described without so much focus on her body. I'm still somewhat troubled by Krasian society and the casual way in which rape is treated (at one point, a character is described as having a habit of visiting another character's home and raping the first daughter or wife he sees - how does that even work?!) But Krasian society is changing slowly, so that's good, I guess.

I should probably say a bit about the present-day events - they did advance the plot, and we found out a lot more about demons through some demon PoVs. It took a backseat to the growth of the characters, though, and that was totally fine with me. I'm guessing a lot more will happen next book on that front - a lot of the things that did happen seemed like setup.

One last thing: beware the cliffhanger ending. Aside from that, it was a great book and I'm eagerly waiting for The Skull Throne.
Comment ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
Once more, an amazing change of perspective! This time we get to see the story from Inevera's, Jardir's First Wife, point of view. Such amazing character developement all around. On one hand I am thrilled to have completed reading the novel, but on the other I am very upset that I have to wait to find out the resolution of the cliffhanger it ended on! As soon as the next book is released I'll be running to the bookstore! ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
I absolutely loved [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794] and really enjoyed [b:The Desert Spear|6736971|The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)|Peter V. Brett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320389818s/6736971.jpg|6527274]. However, the Krasian culture turned me off, so I went into this read with some real trepidation, but determined to enjoy it.

I almost stopped right at the beginning as we get the backstory of Inevera, Jardir's first wife. We get the seamy side of the Krasian culture rubbed into our faces, in a very smelly, graphic way.

Then the story switches to present" time and back to Arlen and I enjoyed that.

Then we have a back and forth between The Desert Spear and Cutter's Hollow. The contrast made my disgust all the more intense.

Lots of graphicness when it comes to sex in this novel. It didn't add anything and left me feeling dirty. The training of the dama'ting, Leesha and Jardir's relationship, Jardir and Inevera's relationship, Leesha and others, Fiddle-man [I can't even remember his name] and his two wives. The merchant friend of Jardir who's wives, daughters and servants are raped by another warrior.

Every time I felt like I was getting into the plot [and I enjoyed the story overall], something came along and pulled me out of it.

I don't want to read about a culture of the Strong preying on the Weak. I read enough of that in the news. Rule of Law, of Equality for all, this is the goal I want to read about.

And then the ending! When Arlen and Jardir go over the cliff, and the book ends?. NO THANKYOU! What a cliffhanger.

Due to this book, I'll be getting rid of my hardcovers of the first 2 books and no longer recommend this series and author to anyone I know. Which is hard, because I thought [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794] was SO fantastic. Now I am sad..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Daylight War is the third book in The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. The quality of writing remains high and the overall story interesting. Unfortunately I think this volume suffers a bit from middle book syndrome. Coming in at just under 700 pages there are some significant pacing issues and the story begins to lose it's way before finding itself again in time for the grande finale.

As with book two we are introduced to a new POV character, Jardir's first wife Inevera. We are treated to flashbacks of her backstory as well as her thoughts and actions in current events. I have mixed feelings about her story. Her background is interesting and I did like reading about how the dama'ting are trained. The similarities and differences between it and sharum training is fascinating. On the downside this hurt Inevera as a character for me. Part of what made her a great secondary character came from the mystery that always surrounded her. How did she know what she knows? Where did her powers come from? Now that the mystery is gone and her motives known she is not as much fun to read about. I also did not need another rehashing of the same events that have already been played out in the first two books. I hope this is not a trend that continues as it feels like lazy story writing and a way to add pages to the book instead of adding anything meaningful to the plot, characters or world.

If you don't like the Krasians or at least find them interesting you may be somewhat disappointed with this book. The Krasian society features prominently and they given about half the page time. As much as I don't enjoy reading about their outdated gender roles I do like how their society as a whole has been impacted by the Greenlanders they are invading. It's interesting to see how the cultures are integrating. Women as warriors would never have happened if it had not been for the Hollowers proving just how wrong some of their notions are. It takes a lot to get there, but it's a start and shows maybe that their society has hope of changing after all.

It suddenly seems as if all the characters are overcome with the need to have sex with each other. It is not written in an explicit way, there is just a lot of it. I stopped counting how many times "the sound of flesh slapping flesh" or "moans of pleasure" or close variations were used. It almost became like a soap opera, trying to keep track of who was doing whom.

As with the previous novels, the characters keep growing and changing. Rojer is given a lot more time to come into his own. I love what Brett has done with his music powers! Arlen and Jardir are learning to develop and control their powers. It's interesting to see how two people use very similar aspects both differently and in exactly the same way. In doing so both has solidified the idea that they are the Deliverer in the minds of their people whether they like it or not. Leesha has learned about the headaches of leadership, literally and figuratively, and is learning to cope with them. The only one that hasn't changed to much is Renna. I have started to dread reading any scene where she has to speak and some of the dialog between her and Arlen are cringe worthy.

Most fun of all we are treated to a brief look into demon society. More demons please!

Though it might not seem like it given my prior comments, I did enjoy the book overall. Brett's writing quality remains high and the story interesting. I plan to finish the series, though I'm going to wait for the fifth book to be written so I can do it all in one shot. ( )
  Narilka | Feb 11, 2016 |
The third installment of the Demon Cycle series, this book tells of Inevera, the woman who becomes Ahmann Jardir's "jiwah-kah" or first wife. Beginning with her call to train as a dama'ting, a holy woman who is a healer in the Krasian world, it chronicles the life she endured. Meeting Ahmann when he was but a child in training himself, Inevera knew that they were fated to be together. This tells of their early years. ( )
  kat_woman38 | Dec 5, 2015 |
For my parents, John and Dolores, who still read together on the couch at night
Inevera and her brother Soli sat in the sunlight.

On the night of the new moon, the demons rise in force, seeking the deaths of two men, both of whom have the potential to become the fabled Deliverer, the man prophesied to reunite the scattered remnants of humanity in a final push to destroy the demon corelings once and for all. Arlen Bales denies he is the Deliverer at every turn, but the more he tries to be one with the common folk, the more fervently they believe.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,524,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible