Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, 1) by Colin…

Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Colin Meloy (Author)

When her baby brother is kidnapped by crows, seventh-grader Prue McKeel ventures into the forbidden Impassable Wilderness--a dangerous and magical forest in the middle of Portland, Oregon--and soon finds herself involved in a war among the various inhabitants.
Member:Aly23
Title:Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, 1)
Authors:Colin Meloy (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Edition: Illustrated, 576 pages

Wildwood by Colin Meloy (Author) (2011)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (cdcottam1)
    cdcottam1: Both works are beautifully mystical and fantastical! Wildwood has many of the fantastical themes of Narnia without the blatantly religious undertones while still containing good moral lessons.
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (derelicious)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (Mav.Weirdo)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (DieFledermaus)
    The Water and the Wild by K. E. Ormsbee (Heather39)

English (98)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
Read about this book in NY Times Book Review. Written by the lead singer/songwriter of The Decembrists and illustrated by his wife, it tells the story of a 12-year old girl, whose baby brother is carried off by crows to the Impassable Wilderness near Portland, and her rescue efforts. Heroes, villians, with a generous side of whimsy. Recommended. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book. It promised to be lovely from the very beginning, and the writing was delicious. It was very obviously written by Colin Meloy - in fact, too much so. The writing was sometimes so beautiful that it was distracting (something I never expected to say). Otherwise, (but mostly therefore,) it was an excellent read and I'm looking forward to the next. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
This book begins as twelve year old Prue watches as her one year old brother gets abducted by a murder of crows! Crazy!!! The crows fly him outside of Portland, Oregon, to the I.W., or Impassable Wilderness as she and her friends and family call it, or Wildwood, as its inhabitants call it. Prue follows them, and her friend Curtis follows her, and the adventure begins! It definitely has a "Chronicles of Narnia" feel, as there are "warring creatures, peaceable mystics, and powerful figures with the darkest intentions." But I never really got into it, and had a hard time finishing it. The beginning was definitely the best part for me. Based on this, I don't think I'm going to read more in the series. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 7, 2020 |
billed as a kid's book, but really great writing, witty, funny. looking forward to the "futher adventures of Prue ..." ( )
  aabtzu | May 18, 2020 |
This was a fund adventure story, but not entirely successful. Feels like a first book, and could definitely have used a more rigorous editor. The protagonist, Prue, goes after her baby brother, who is abducted by crows and taken into the Impassable Wilderness near their home in Portland. In the woods she has an adventure whose outlines borrow liberally from C.S. Lewis, Harry Potter, and other children's fantasy series. Still, Prue is a fun protagonist, and her friend Curtis is an even better sidekick. I thought all the parts with the bandits were great, and my 9-year-old son had a good time. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 20, 2020 |
Folding elements of real-life Portland into the story, Meloy lovingly describes the jungles to the north and the cobbled streets and elegant tree houses of the more civilized south. The result is a richly satisfying weave of reality and fantasy.

Meloy, ColinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Plummer, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hank, of course
How five crows managed to lift a twenty-pound baby boy into the air was beyond Prue, but that was certainly the least of her worries.
"My dear Prue, we are the inheritors of a wonderful world, a beautiful world, full of life and mystery, goodness and pain. But likewise are we children of an indifferent universe. We break our own hearts imposing our moral order on what is, by nature, a wide web of chaos. it is a hopeless task."

From The Publisher: Prue McKeel's life is ordinary. At least until her baby brother is abducted by a murder of crows. And then things get really weird. You see, on every map of Portland, Oregon, there is a big splotch of green on the edge of the city labeled "I.W." This stands for "Impassable Wilderness." No one's ever gone in-or at least returned to tell of it. And this is where the crows take her brother. So begins an adventure that will take Prue and her friend Curtis deep into the Impassable Wilderness. There they uncover a secret world in the midst of violent upheaval, a world full of warring creatures, peaceable mystics, and powerful figures with the darkest intentions. And what begins as a rescue mission becomes something much bigger as the two friends find themselves entwined in a struggle for the very freedom of this wilderness. A wilderness the locals call Wildwood. Wildwood is a spellbinding tale full of wonder, danger, and magic that juxtaposes the thrill of a secret world and modern city life. Original and fresh yet steeped in classic fantasy, this is a novel that could have only come from the imagination of Colin Meloy, celebrated for his inventive and fantastic storytelling as the lead singer of the Decemberists. With dozens of intricate and beautiful illustrations by award-winning artist Carson Ellis, Wildwood is truly a new classic for the twenty-first century.

AR level 6.3, 19 pts

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,283,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible