The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) by Lev…

The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Lev Grossman

Series: The Magicians (2)

Quentin and his friends are now the kings and queens of Fillory, but the days and nights of royal luxury are starting to pall. After a morning hunt takes a sinister turn, Quentin and his old friend Julia charter a magical sailing ship and set out on an errand to the wild outer reaches of their kingdom. Their pleasure cruise becomes an adventure when the two are unceremoniously dumped back into the last place Quentin ever wants to see: his parent's house in Chesterton, Massachusetts. And only the black, twisted magic that Julia learned on the streets can save them.… (more)
Member:joeeasterly
Title:The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
Authors:Lev Grossman
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Kindle Edition, 418 pages
Collections:Fiction & Literature

The Magician King by Lev Grossman (2011)

The Voodoo Killings by Kristi Charish (charlie68)
    charlie68: Same sort of magic teenage vibe.

English (167)  French (1)  All languages (168)
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
Okay, this was pure awesomeness. I've been feeling such a deep connection with these stories. this was such a level up from [i]The Magicians[/i] and I was enthralled the whole time. I enjoy all the world travelling and the look into Julia's past. Fillroy was just perfect ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Really remarkable - I thought there was way too much going on here, but Grossman brings everything together in the end as if it were, you know, magic. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
A fabulous follow-up to The Magicians. Like its predecessor, the plot wasn't perfect but I cared about the characters, couldn't put it down, and felt a crazy number of emotions. While loose threads were being wrapped up in the end and some of my predictions panned out (and some didn't), it was the emotional roller coaster that made me fall in love with this book. Julia's story in particular ripped my heart out and shredded it. Oh my, it was difficult and powerful and great simultaneously. Quentin does actually grow and mature by the end, though he's still l just as frustrating and sightly unlikable for most of it. The magic and descriptions of the setting are fabulous; Grossman really brings Fillory, the magical underworld of Earth, and the Neitherlands to life. Not perfect by any means, but reading it is a perfect emotional experience. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
Much better than #1! ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
“Everybody wanted to be the hero of their own story,” Quentin declares, framing the novel’s theme in neat miniature. But by the end of “The Magician King,” he comes to realize that he just might not be. It’s a harsh lesson, and one that, in keeping with the preoccupations and innovations of this serious, heartfelt novel, turns the machinery of fantasy inside out.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Dan Kois (Aug 26, 2011)

...a spellbinding stereograph, a literary adventure novel that is also about privilege, power and the limits of being human. The Magician King is a triumphant sequel, surpassing, I think, the original. I can't wait for the next one.

Echoes from The Chronicles of Narnia [...] continue to reverberate, but Grossman’s psychologically complex characters and grim reckoning with tragic sacrifice far surpass anything in C.S. Lewis’ pat Christian allegory.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Jun 28, 2011)

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We shall now seek that which we shall not find.
—Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte D'Arthur
For Sophie
Quentin rode a gray horse with white socks named Dauntless.
This would be his quest: collecting taxes from a bunch of backwater yokels. He had skipped the adventure of the broken tree, and that was fine. He would have this one instead.
Quentin had an obsolete sailing ship that had been raised from the dead. He had a psychotically effective swordsman and an enigmatic witch-queen. It wasn’t the Fellowship of the Ring, but then again he wasn’t trying to save the world from Sauron, he was attempting to perform a tax audit on a bunch of hick islanders. It would definitely do.
That water must be ninety percent E. coli, and the rest was probably diesel fuel. This was not a body of water intended for swimming in.
Fortunately Poppy turned out to be excellent at this kind of cross-country dead-reckoning navigation. At first they thought she must be using some kind of advanced geographical magic until Josh noticed that she had an iPhone in her lap. “Yeah, but I used magic to jailbreak it,” she said.
When you get to that level of power and knowledge and perfection, the question of what you should do next gets increasingly obvious. Everything is very rule-governed. All you can ever do in any given situation is the most gloriously perfect thing, and there’s only one of them. Finally there aren’t any choices left to make at all.” “You’re saying the gods don’t have free will.” “The power to make mistakes,” Penny said. “Only we have that. Mortals.”

The boy is now king
Happily ever after?
Fate has other plans(Jannes)
How much would you want

to give up after a quest

to be a hero?

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,879,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible