Everything Is Its Own Reward: An All Over Coffee Collection

by Paul Madonna

"mesmerizing . . . When his international images are paired with his sparse, poetic words--sometimes thought-provoking one-liners such as 'You don't get anywhere without searching' and sometimes long, meandering sections of dialogue and story--the effect is haunting."-- Oprah.com Beginning with his hometown of San Francisco and traveling to cities such as Paris, Rome, Buenos Aires, and Tokyo, Paul Madonna delivers his second body of drawings and writings. This stunning new collection, a testament to an artist and storyteller's careful observation of both the external and internal worlds, outdoes the masterful performance of his first bookAll Over Coffee, offering an even richer catalog of pen and ink cityscapes, short stories, conversations, and thoughts. Entertaining and moving, gorgeous to look at, Madonna's work remains unique and unclassifiable. This full color, hardbound edition comes complete with a removable poster.… (more)

First and foremost, Paul Madonna's art is stunning. But, he's stories and thoughts were also very interesting. ( )
  obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |
What can I say? I love this book. I find the artwork beautiful. The writing is ethereal and inspirational. It made my mind float, if that makes any sense. It's a great book to read when I just need to get away from the world for a while and come back feeling better about myself. ( )
1 vote IntrepidFictionaut | Sep 26, 2016 |
Collection of art from his long-running weekly San Francisco Chronicle series All Over Coffee

I draw to support my writing habit

I didn’t know that this was a series when I bought it so I would have bought the first collection first otherwise. However once I’d flicked through the book I had to have it due to the gorgeous art work. This is a series of almost photorealistic pencil & ink drawings of mostly urban landscapes. Some pictures have text, some a lot of text, some a pithy comment only, some you have to search for the text, some the text is alongside. Flash fiction, short poems and thoughts from the author.

Words spoken
Then forgotten
Turn up again
Like tiny shards of glass
From broken bowls
Hidden in the rug
Missed by the vacuum
Pierce your toes
In the early hours of morning
As you wander the hall
Wondering why it is
you can't sleep

You can see some of the artwork here: https://www.paulmadonna.com/all_over_coffee/

Overall –Great art & some thought provoking text - I'll be tracking down the first collection now! ( )
  psutto | Oct 8, 2012 |
In this exquisite second collection from his long-running weekly San Francisco Chronicle series All Over Coffee, Madonna captures snapshots in time as he explores the relationship between image and text . . . With pieces depicting San Francisco, New York, Barcelona, and Tokyo, Madonna's work is something to savor.
added by Polaris- | editPublishers Weekly

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,070,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible