Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two…

Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Richard Rohr (Author)

"A fresh way of thinking about spirituality that grows throughout life. In Falling Upward, Fr. Richard Rohr seeks to help readers understand the tasks of the two halves of life and to show them that those who have fallen, failed, or "gone down" are the only ones who understand "up." Most of us tend to think of the second half of life as largely about getting old, dealing with health issues, and letting go of life, but the whole thesis of this book is exactly the opposite.? What looks like falling down can largely be experienced as "falling upward."? In fact, it is not a loss but somehow actually a gain, as we have all seen with elders who?have come to their fullness.?? Explains why the second half of life can and should be full of spiritual richness Offers a new view of how spiritual growth happens loss is gain Richard Rohr is a regular contributing writer for Sojourners and Tikkun magazines This important book explores the counterintuitive message that we grow spiritually much more by doing wrong than by doing right."--… (more)
Member:ejwestmark
Title:Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
Authors:Richard Rohr (Author)
Info:Jossey-Bass (2011), Edition: 1, 240 pages

Work Information

Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life by Richard Rohr (2011)

In the first half of life, we are naturally and rightly preoccupied with establishing our identity - climbing, achieving, and performing. But those concerns will not serve us as we grow older and begin to embark on a further journey, one that involves challenges, mistakes, loss of control. broader horizons, and necessary suffering that actually shocks us out of our prior comfort zone. Eventually, we need to see ourselves in a different and more life-giving way. This messaged of "falling down" - that is in fact moving upward-- is the most resisted and counterintuitive of messages in the world's religions, including and most especially Christianity.
  PendleHillLibrary | May 11, 2022 |
This book is written for me; and for those who used to ascribe to a tribe but now find themselves on the outside looking for a deeper spirituality. Amazing read! ( )
  eliason | Sep 28, 2021 |
Not his best work, but it gets better towards the end. ( )
  thegreyhermit | Jul 23, 2021 |
"In Falling Upward, Fr. Richard Rohr seeks to help readers understand the tasks of the two halves of life and to show them that those who have fallen, failed, or "gone down" are the only ones who understand "up." Most of us tend to think of the second half of life as largely about getting old, dealing with health issues, and letting go of life, but the whole thesis of this book is exactly the opposite. What looks like falling down can largely be experienced as "falling upward." In fact, it is not a loss but somehow actually a gain, as we have all seen with elders who have come to their fullness. It explains why the second half of life can and should be full of spiritual richness. This important book explores the counterintuitive message that we grow spiritually much more by doing wrong than by doing right--a fresh way of thinking about spirituality that grows throughout life."
  staylorlib | May 17, 2021 |
I love Richard Rohr. And, I'm pretty sure he doesn't own a narrow brush -- broad brush-strokes all the way. That being said, I know of no one who paints prettier pictures than he does. I plan on reading many more of his books! This may be the one I'd recommend first for anyone interested in Rohr.

Also - David Brooks borrows this "two halves of life" vocabulary from Rohr in his new book The Second Mountain (another nice metaphor). They offer different perspectives, but both give helpful wisdom for understanding the whole of life, and living well. ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |
      The greatest and most important problems of
      life are fundamentally unsolvable. They can
      never be solved, but only outgrown.

- CARL JUNG

First there is the fall, and then we recover from
      the fall. Both are the mercy of God!

- LADY JULIAN OF NORWICH
To the Franciscan friars, my brothers, who trained me so
well in the skills and spirituality of the first half of life that
they also gave me the grounding, the space, the call, and the
inevitability of a further and fantastic journey.
As I began to say in the Introduction, the task of the first half of life is to create a proper container for one's life and answer the first essential questions: "What makes me significant?" "How can I support myself?" and "Who will go with me?" The task of the second half of life is, quite simply, to find the actual contents that this container was meant to hold and deliver.
Homes are not made to be lived in - but only to be moved out from.
God comes to you disguised as your life.
- Paula D'Arcy
You fight things only when you are called and equipped to do so. We all become a well-disguised mirror image of anything we fight too long or too directly. That which we oppose determines the energy and frames the questions after awhile. You lose all your inner freedom.
Holier-than-though people usually end up holier than nobody.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,099,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible