Reamde

by Neal Stephenson

When his own high-tech start up turns into a Fortune 500 computer gaming group, Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of an Iowa family who has amassed an illegal fortune, finds the line between fantasy and reality becoming blurred when a virtual war for dominance is triggered.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (mhcityplanner)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Anonymous user)
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (Galorette)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    The Beasts of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs (themulhern)
    themulhern: Somewhat unorthodox family is sundered by bad guys and in multiple concurrent narratives re-assembles itself, meanwhile finding new allies and new enemies. The chief female character emerges as a character with agency.
    Fall; or, Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Bad feminist by Roxane Gay (themulhern)
    themulhern: There has been some talk about Stephenson's female characters and some assertion that he is anti-feminist. My feeling is that he is, perhaps, writing his female characters as "bad feminists" in the sense that Roxane Gay uses that term in this collection of essays.… (more)
    The Bloodline Feud: A Merchant Princes Omnibus by Charles Stross (Anonymous user)

English (207)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (211)
Gripping techno thriller ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
3.5/5. Jack Reacher by way of Neal Stephenson. ( )
  autoclave | Oct 4, 2021 |
I like Neal Stephenson's Science Fiction. This book was not Science Fiction. It was something of a thriller with an unlikely cast of characters. It reminded me mostly of Snow Crash but set in the modern day world. Like Snow Crash there are rich billionaires, hackers, trained killers, kidnapped young women, pursuit through strange locations and unlikely alliances. It is a little madcap but really should not have been over 1000 pages long. I liked his previous book Anathem. It was more Science Fiction and had more unusual ideas in it. The most novel idea in this story was a MMRPG built with gold farming in mind and based on geological simulation. That was explained in the first hundred pages and everything after that is just characters running around, meeting, talking and shooting. The characters were well realized with interesting and diverse backgrounds. The plotting and coordination of their movements was well thought out and there were no Deus Ex Mechina thrown in to get the author out of a tight spot. Many events were unlikely but you could see them coming miles down the road. There were no surprises. That could be considered a good thing or a bad thing.

I would not ever read this again. I would read Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Anathem and even Zodiac again. The Baroque Cycle was interesting and fun to read but shared a rambling nature with Reamde. I do not think I would ever re-read that one either. ( )
  mgplavin | Oct 3, 2021 |
In Cal Newport’s book, Deep Work, he writes about Neal Stephenson’s work ritual—which is to stay off social media and email. The theory is that it is a distraction from writing books, which is what he needs to spend his time on. Reamde is huge—I guess it proves the point that if you cull all distractions you can produce a huge tome of a thousand pages. I enjoyed this book, but man, I had to dedicate some time to it, which I find hard because I haven’t let go of social media and email. But that is fine. Some reviewers have complained about details, but also having just finished reading Melville’s Moby-Dick as part of a book club at Folio, I say, bring on the details. Those details can capture so much about a specific time and place. If you want a quick thriller, you have plenty of other options, but if you want a thoughtful action thriller that also explains the gaming world, game development, corporations, economics, international intrigue, the Pacific Northwest, world geography—then this is your book. I enjoyed it as a book lover, a game player, a former tech worker, and the wife of a gaming software engineer. I can’t recall a better book that wraps all of these modern details with appropriate character depth. I like that the cast was international—the hero a tech billionaire with a very American past, his niece, an adopted Eritrean orphan with survival skills, her dumb American hacker boyfriend who sets the wheels turning, and all the characters who are pulled in as the plot advances. I could imagine this book being turned into a series on one of the streaming services—there is enough character and plot to go around. Maybe even two seasons.

I found this quote from the book very apropos, "This was part of Corporation 9592'sstrategy; they hired psychologists, invested millions in a project to sabotage movies--yes, the entire medium of cinema--to get their customers/players/addicts into a state of mind where they simply couldn't focus on a two-hour-long chunk of filmed entertainment without alarm bells going off in their medullas telling them that they needed to log on to T'Rain and see what they are missing."

Overall, I recommend this if you like Neal Stephenson, you like thrillers, but are willing to invest the time to read it. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
loved it. love neal steaphenson. computers, terrorists, good guys win.

could of had more technical coolness ( )
  royragsdale | Sep 22, 2021 |
All of Stephenson's fiction has thrilling moments (and as his novels tend to be big, those moments can go on for many, many pages), but this is the first of his books that is nothing but a thriller, one that will sit comfortably on shelves weighed down by, say, the complete works of Robert Ludlum.
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Nov 27, 2011)

"Like Stephenson's most critically acclaimed novel, Cryptonomicon, Reamde combines meticulous observation of the stranger socioeconomic effects wrought by technology with rousing fusillades of adventure."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Miller Laura (Oct 7, 2011)

Sci-fi geeks flock to the master's wildly complex novels -- but his latest, "Reamde," is maddeningly conventional
added by bertilak | editSalon, Andrew Leonard (Sep 19, 2011)

"Stephenson’s control of these multifarious plotlines is remarkable, as is his evocation of settings as disparate as a 21st-century boomtown in southern China, a remote island in the Philippines, a survivalist compound in Idaho and Wal-Mart."

REAMDE, Stephenson's latest novel [...] is a book that represents a new kind of equilibrium in Stephenson's literary canon: a book that is simultaneously as baroque as System of the World and as cleanly and crisply finished as Anathem. It is, in other words, a triumph, all 980 pages of it
added by r.orrison | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 14, 2011)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gräbener-Müller, JulianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hillgartner, MalcolmReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobelli, JamesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stingl, NikolausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard kept his head down.  Not all those cow pies were frozen, and the ones that were could turn an ankle.
"Fate has given us a totally awesome foe." -Qian Yuxia

Four decades ago Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of his Iowa-based family, fled to a wild and mountainous corner of British Columbia to avoid the draft. Quickly realizing that he could make a lot of fast cash carrying backpack loads of high-grade marijuana across the border into Northern Idaho he began to amass an enormous and illegal fortune. Living an affluent but lonely and monotonous life in B.C., Richard became addicted to the online fantasy game World of Warcraft and like many serious players of the game he also fell into the habit of purchasing viral gold pieces and other desirables from Chinese gold farmers—young men who make a living playing the game and accumulating virtual weapons and armor that can be sold to American and European buyers who have more money than time. Luckily for Richard, it was the perfect opportunity to launder his aging hundred dollar bills and begin a new business venture to further expand his fortune.

Now the head of a major computer gaming group called Corporation 9592 with its own super-successful online fantasy game, T’Rain, Forthrast is caught in the center of a global thriller and a virtual war for dominance that is accidentally triggered by a young gold farmer.
A fast-paced thriller
Hackers, mobsters, terrorists
Done Stephenson-style

(saltmanz)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,528,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible