How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Dragonfly…

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Dragonfly Books)

by Mark Teague

347None31,330 (4.19)None

Genre - Fiction, Fantasy, Poetry
Classification - Picture Book
Approximate Age Level - 3-7
Multicultural Classification - Melting Pot
Personal Reflection - I read this book to my students either the first or second week of school. It's a great way to relate to students' summer vacation. It's a perfect book for teaching predictions - I have the students make predictions using the cover. They make a prediction about the boy and the cowboys. It's also useful for teaching about settings. They have to decide on settings from the story and not from the story. ( )
  gthao1 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Wallace had an exciting summer vacation where he spent out west learning to rope and ride.
  mhb008 | Apr 14, 2013 |
This book is about a young boy with a wild imagine. He tells his story in rhyming mode. He is on a train to stay with his Aunt Fern for the summer and his train was attacked by cowboys, so he learned how to be a 'cowboy'.

Personal Reaction: I really liked this book. Even my kids who are young teenagers liked it. I think that the flow of the book was perfect and it was just the right length.

Classroom Activities: With this book I would let the kids draw pictures of what they would think a cowboy would be doing out on the ranch. Maybe even let them color a picture of a cowboy, and decorate it the way they wanted to.
  MaryLCarney | Sep 4, 2012 |
Funny rhyming book with cartoon-style illustrations about a boy's imaginary summer vacation with cowboys. Great illustration of a creative writing project. ( )
  MaestraDixon | Jul 21, 2012 |
Genre: Fantasy/Poetry

Summary: When Wallace is asked to give his report on how he spent his summer, he spins a tale of how his parents sent him to visit his aunt out west because his imagination is too big. He is captured by a band of cowboys, who dress him in western apparel and teach him their cowboy ways. They call his aunt from a payphone and she invites them all over to visit. If there is one thing the class knows is true about Wallace's story, it's that he does have a lot of imagination.

Media: Acryllics ( )
  Rose_Hawblitzel | Nov 23, 2011 |

Scholastic Reading Level: 2.5

Some kids spend their summer vacation at camp. Some kids spend it at Grandma's house. Wallace Bleff spent his out west...on a ride, a rope, and a roundup he'll never forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:15 -0400)

A schoolboy tell his class about his summer vacation, during which he joined a group of cowboys and stopped a cattle stampede.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible