Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human…

Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Roy F. Baumeister (Author)

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength
Authors:Roy F. Baumeister (Author)
Info:Penguin Press (2011), Edition: 1, 304 pages

Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Roy F. Baumeister (Author) (2011)

So I wasn't wrong, and it wasn't my imagination after all: the self-esteem movement does produce narcissists, and does not make "children any more successful, honest or otherwise better citizens."

Wow, the difference between Chinese and American toddlers seems to show clearly that the higher expectations for self-control (their 2-yr olds have the self-control of our 3-4 yr olds?!) lead to higher levels of self-discipline by the time they get to school, "low levels of narcissism, and later successes."
-Ok, so when my Principal told me I was being too harsh on the 7th graders, she was indeed wrong. Thank you, even if that doesn't get me my job back. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I already read to many books on similar topics (habits, procrastination, behavior, addiction) so I didn't find anything really new or useful. ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Lots of interesting stuff here, although at this point I've seen the concepts cited in so many places that I didn't learn that many new things from it. (ego depletion, decision fatigue, the marshmallow experiment, etc.) ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
This book's theories sound plausible enough, but they're built on experiments that can't be reproduced. The replication crisis strikes again!
  ex_ottoyuhr | May 7, 2017 |
Despite the somewhat cheeky title, this is a brilliant overview of what willpower and self-control is, what influences our willpower and how can we make changes to reach goals and make results last. Baumester and Tierny write with humour and zest, using the studies their theories are based on to the fullest extent. Some books may change your life; Willpower has the power to do so. ( )
  petterw | Dec 28, 2016 |

Baumeister, Roy F.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JohnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tierny, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To our children,
Athena and Luke
However you define success -- a happy family, good friends, a satisfying career, robust health, financial security, the freedom to pursue your passions -- it tends to be accompanied by a couple of qualities.

The authors review the latest research to report key findings on willpower and offer practical advice for increasing it.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible