Wicked Autumn: A Max Tudor Novel by G. M.…

Wicked Autumn: A Max Tudor Novel (edition 2011)

by G. M. Malliet (Author)

Series: Max Tudor (1)

Max Tudor has adapted well to his post as vicar of St. Edwold's in the idyllic village of Nether Monkslip. The quiet village seems the perfect home for Max, who has fled a harrowing past as an M15 agent. But this newfound serenity is quickly shattered when the highly vocal and unpopular president of the Women's Institute turns up dead at the Harvest Fayre. The death looks like an accident, but Max's training as a former agent kicks in, and before long he suspects foul play. As the investigation unfolds, Max becomes more intricately involved. Memories he'd rather not revisit are stirred, evoking the demons from the past which led him to Nether Monkslip.… (more)
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:Wicked Autumn: A Max Tudor Novel
Authors:G. M. Malliet (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Complete Numbers Starting with 1, 1st Ed, 320 pages
Tags:to-read

Wicked Autumn by G. M. Malliet

WICKED AUTUMN is a Max Tudor mystery novel written by G.M. Malliet and published in 2011. The title is Book #1 of a series of ‘Max Tudor’ mysteries.
Max Tudor is a Parochial Vicar at the parish of St. Edwold’s in the village of Nether Monkslip. Max is a former MI5 agent, a village ‘heartthrob’ of sorts; an escapee to a peaceful, quiet village setting.
When the head of the local WI (Women’s Institute), Wanda Batton-Smythe, is found dead in the Village Hall during the annual Harvest Fayre, Max’s talents as an investigator are put to the test.
This title was recommended by Canadian author, Louise Penny. Both she and G.M. Malliet are published by Minotaur Books. The author has a wonderful website. I especially like the village map of Nether Monkslip.
I am eagerly awaiting Book #2 of this series, A FATAL WINTER. **** ( )
  diana.hauser | Feb 2, 2021 |
A bit dry. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
I have had the Max Tudor mystery series on my TBR pile for some time. I am sure most fellow reading enthusiasts will understand exactly what I mean when I say my TBR is ponderous and it takes quite awhile for great books to find their way to the top. I wish this series had found its way out of the chaotic lists of my "to read'' pile much much sooner! I very much enjoyed this first book in the series!

The basics: After a career with MI5, Max Tudor decided he wanted to follow a totally different, less violent, calling. He became a Vicar. Placed at St Edwold's in the village of Nether Monkslip, he expects his former career as an agent is far, far behind him. When a member of the local Women's Institute is killed during the annual Harvest Fayre, the Vicar realizes he has to pull together the skills he honed as an agent to help catch a murderer.

The plot and characters in this book have a bit of Agatha Christie flavor to them. Idyllic English village. Simple folk. Secrets hiding. I really felt sympathy for Max as he had to eye each village resident with suspicion, even if he really wanted the killer to not be a local villager. The mystery moved at a good pace. There was plenty of character and place development. And the suspense held up to the very end. This story definitely kept my attention from start to finish. I will definitely be reading more of this series!

I listened to the audio book version of this story. Narrated by Michael Page, the audio is just over 8 hours long. Page reads at a nice pace, and has a pleasing voice. Very entertaining audio book! I already have book 2, A Fatal Winter, checked out on Hoopla! I want to know what happens next in Nether Monkslip!
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Wicked Autumn - Malliet
Audio performance by Michael Page
3 stars

This is the first of a cozy English Village mystery series. The aumatuer detective is a Church of England priest with the unlikely backstory of a previous career as an MI5 agent. Although it is a 21st century setting, there’s a deliberate mid-20th century retro feel to the village settings and the characters’ behaviors. (There are ‘mobile’ phones, but they never seem to be charged. One character is distracted by an outbreak of measles in her home …. Must be an antivaxer.) The story revolves around the preparations for a village Harvest Festival. (It’s all for charity, you know.) Noone is terribly grieved when the town’s most annoying busybody is murdered, but community suspicions and fears are on the rise. It’s a very predictable plot with an easily predictable conclusion. Michael Page was, as always, pleasant listening. ( )
  msjudy | Dec 15, 2019 |
Way too much exposition at the end. Aside from that, an enjoyable cozy. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |

G. M. Mallietprimary authorall editionscalculated
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"I Sing a Song of the Saints of God"

And one was a soldier, and one was a priest,
And one was slain by a fierce wild beast:
And there's not any reason, no, not the least
Why I shouldn't be one too.

--Hymn lyrics by Lesbia Scott, 1929
This book is dedicated to the members of the National Federation of Women's Institutes (NFWI) and to the memory of Mrs. B. who loved detective stories.
Wanda Batton-Smythe, head of the Women's Institute of Nether Monkslip, liked to say she was not one to mince words.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

G. M. Malliet's book Wicked Autumn was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,694,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible