The River by Gary Paulsen

Member:fnkelley
Title:The River
Authors:Gary Paulsen
Info:Laurel-Leaf Books (1998), Paperback
Tags:fiction, young adult literature, Gary Paulsen (Newbery Honor Award Winner), sequel, adventure, Brian's Saga, survival, Brian's Saga (book 2)

The River by Gary Paulsen

Recently added byADietzel, Craigery, TheMadTurtle, robiniles, jjmarcum22, PepperGood, private library, RSSAA, MrsVW, scu83

Brian, the main character, a boy who survived in the woods for 54 days alone, opens his front door to three men who work in the government asking Brian to show them how to live in the wilderness in the perspective of how Brian felt. He went with these men. The “Time”, or the period f time when Brian was surviving in the woods, has changed Brian, there were bad times but also good times in the wilderness all of which took part in changing him to a kid who is now calmer and can appreciate things he has.

The only thing Brian, the three men and a military psychologist(who decided to tag along) were allowed to bring was a notebook, radio, and pocket knives. When they all landed Brian responded to the behavior he had when he was alone. One day there was a lightning storm and Brian told everyone to stay down. One man, Derek reached for the radio to call for help, but unfortunately the lightning struck the man and Brian felt some of the shock from the other man. The radio was burnt sop they couldn't use it to call for help, but when the people who are on the other end of the radio sees that the men and Brian aren’t sending their weekly check-in ( to see if they’re okay) then they’ll rescue them.

Derek is dehydrated but will gag when given water. Luckily Brian has experience with surviving in the wilderness so he can manage taking care of himself. In this scenario, Brian has to take care of two people. Brian realizes that he needs to find help. He decides to build a raft and float down a river. Brian was tempted to cut Derek and leave him in the river, he didn’t. The raft flipped over and Brian was in a coma. A family found the two laying on the shore and rescued them. They both lived and as a present for saving his life, Derek gave Brian a canoe.

I very much enjoyed this book, as I did with the first book. I would highly recommend this book for those who like adventurous quick books that you can finish fast. I’m both glad and upset that this book was short. I’m glad because I didn’t have to stop every few chapters because its too long, I just finished it in 1 (long) sitting. And the reason why I'm upset that it’s short is because it would get you on the edge of your seat and when it is over you want to keep on reading it. ( )
  SophiaA.G1 | May 29, 2019 |
So far it has been pretty predictable, but I have to see what really happens. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
A tremendous read! ( )
  CandyH | Jun 12, 2018 |
I really like this book because it is a continue of my favorite book hatchet. I was adventure of Brian back into the woods to survive, as research. Brian has a problem though his partner is stuck by lightning and put in a coma, as well the radio is struck and can't be used . Brian is forced to boat down the river to a trading center because help will not come before his partner dies of thirst. The rapids kick Brain off the boat and he later finds it after swimming for a while. He is greeted at the trading post by a dog kid and their parents.
I gave this book a 4 star rating. I gave it this because it was adventures. The book explain in detail every things that was happening. I always felt like I was there. At times you felt pity for Brian and what happened to him. I gave this a 4 star rating because i loved it but wish it was longer. ( )
  EvanL.B3 | Jan 15, 2018 |
The completely unnecessary and unexceptional sequel to the children's classic, 'Hatchet' Did I read this in fifth grade, or was it sixth? A severe disappointment for any age. ( )
  the_lemur | Nov 9, 2017 |
To my daughter, Lynn, with love
Brian opened the door and stood back.
First published in Great Britain 1992 under title: Hatchet: The Return.
Alternate title: The River.

Because of his success surviving alone in the wilderness for fifty-four days, fifteen-year-old Brian, profoundly changed by his time in the wild, is asked to undergo a similar experience to help scientists learn more about the psychology of survival. Sequel to [Hatchet].

"We want you to do it again."

These words, spoken to Brian Robeson, will change his life. Two years earlier, Brian was stranded alone in the wilderness for fifty-four days with nothing but a small hatchet. Yet he survived. Now the government wants him to do it again--to go back into the wilderness so that astronauts and the military can learn the survival techniques that kept Brian alive.

This time he won't be alone: Derek Holtzer, a government psychologist, will accompany him to observe and take notes. But during a freak storm, Derek is hit by lightning and falls into a coma. Their radio transmitter is dead. Brian is afraid that derek will die of dehydration unless he can get him to a doctor. His only hope is to build a raft and try to transport Derek a hundred miles down the river to a trading post--if the map he has is accurate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:19 -0400)

Because of his success surviving alone in the wilderness for fifty-four days, fifteen-year-old Brian, profoundly changed by his time in the wild, is asked to undergo a similar experience to help scientists learn more about the psychology of survival. Sequel to "Hatchet."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,440,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible