The Kingdoms of Dust

by Amanda Downum

"With her master dead and her oaths foresworn, necromancer and spy Isyllt Iskaldur finds herself in exile. Hounded by assassins, she seeks asylum in Assar, the empire she so recently worked to undermine. Warlords threaten the empire's fragile peace, and the empress is beset by enemies within the court. Even worse, darkness stirs in the deep desert. Ancient spirits long held captive are waking - spirits that can destroy Assar faster than any army. Accompanied by an outcast jinn, Isyllt must travel into the heart of the desert to lay the darkness there to rest once more. But her sympathies are torn between the captive spirits and the order of mages sworn to bind them. And whichever choice she makes could raze the empire to dust."--P. 4 of cover.… (more)

Not as tight-wound and compelling as [b:The Bone Palace|7822865|The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)|Amanda Downum|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327927870s/7822865.jpg|10865183], but still lyrically written, deftly characterised and a fun and interesting read. I love how hard the characters live, and how they do not emerge from that unscathed, and how they carry their scars, and heal. It's realistic and it's beautiful and it's not made easy or gratuitously sexy. (Though, that said, she writes some of the most meaningful and intimate sex scenes I've ever read, and rarely are they even slightly explicit.) ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
trading off the series. I won't be reading it again. ( )
  SLHobbs | Aug 16, 2015 |
Like the last two, we get to visit a new country, one of sand and sun - and no ghosts. Mystery, death, jinn and mantacores abound. Isyllt faces assassins, heat, lost love and loss of purpose. Again, I enjoyed the new characters, and the return of familiar ones, and the deepening understanding of Isyllt's character and past. And her growth as a person was well written. I enjoyed seeing her solutions for the mystery and how it contributed to her as a person. I'm excited to see where we get to go next! ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 21, 2014 |
I liked The Bone Palace more, but this was still quite good; I enjoyed the setting.

I wish Moth could have had a larger role, though - especially since the ending seems to suggest she won't be in the next book.

To a lesser extent, I suppose I felt the same way about most of the characters other than the protagonist; it would have been nice if more time had been spent with each of them.

I will probably read the next one, though! ( )
  cecily2 | Dec 29, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,343,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible