dismiss

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for…

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for Adults Only (original 1961; edition 1985)

by Shel Silverstein

6201326,022 (4.32)8
Full of wit and twisted humor this notorious Shel Silverstein classic is a book you won't want your children to read! Written for adults only, Shel Silverstein--the popular children's book author--presents a humorous satire of alphabet books filled with ABC lessons parents would never want their children to learn.… (more)
Member:xydexx
Title:Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for Adults Only
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Fireside (1985), Paperback, 80 pages

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for Adults Only by Shel Silverstein (1961)

A Fireside Book ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
I had a friend describe this book to me years ago and I decided to finally find a copy and read it. This is not the book a parent would buy their kid to read but more of a book a aunt or uncle mad at their sibling would get their niece or nephew. This would also make a great shower gift for the laughs. The book covers the alphabet but not in the correct order and gives bad advice to kids that would get them into lots of trouble. Overall I got several laughs out of the book but I will not be putting into my nieces or nephews hands anytime soon. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
Fantastic book! So imaginative and creative.

Shel Silverstein is always brilliant! His rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This book is downright hilarious. Full of whit and twisted humor it is a must read for any adult. Take a trip into Uncle Shelby’s mind, which is full of bad and twisted advice for children and where the ABCs aren’t necessarily in order. It’s a quick read and fairly entertaining as well. Definitely recommend this book if you’re in need of a pick-me-up. ( )
  carissaburks | Oct 2, 2014 |
this book isnt the typical alphabet book. it is intended to amuse an older group of readers, rather than educate younger ones.
  nkertz | Dec 4, 2011 |
Uncle Shelby is here to teach the kids the alphabet (mostly -- his alphabet goes abzdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyc) with a series of nasty, laugh-out-loud funny exercises and misinformative advice that nearly cost me a keyboard, as I happened to be drinking water while reading it.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 9, 2009)

This book is affectionately dedicated to Uncle Shelby's old comrade, Jean Shepherd.
O child learn your ABZ's / And memorize them well / And you shall learn to talk and think / And read and write and spel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,488,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible