Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

Catalyst (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Laurie Halse Anderson (Author)

Eighteen-year-old Kate, who sometimes chafes at being a preacher's daughter, finds herself losing control in her senior year as she faces difficult neighbors, the possibility that she may not be accepted by the college of her choice, and an unexpected death.
Member:KevinVMurdock
Title:Catalyst
Authors:Laurie Halse Anderson (Author)
Info:Speak (2003), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson (2002)

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another good book by Laurie Halse Anderson about the troubles of teenagers
    The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another incredible book examining the loss of a parent, and the "catalysts" that propel us to wade through our grief -- and emerge on the other side.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (meggyweg)

English (49)  Italian (3)  All languages (52)
This is a journey into the thoughts of a senior high school student. There is a lot of stress in her life. In addition to college admission prep, she is her family's housekeeper sinc her mother's death 12 yrs ago. Her father is a ministers so she is under a lot of pressure to be "good". When a neighbor's house burns down the addition of the 2 kids to her family's house is the last straw...or a chance to re-evaluate.
This book did a good job of making us feel the tension and obsessive worry experienced by Kate. There was a subtext of running as a metaphor for her running away from her own feelings, but it wasn't too blatant until Kate herself comes to that realization at the end.
Kate is a chemistry geek. Each chapter is named with a chemistry term and begine with an epigraph - a safety tip from a lab manual.
  juniperSun | May 13, 2020 |
Bizarrely unbaked and thin. Not up to Anderson's usual standards. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
CATEGORY: Laurie Halse Anderson
Kate Malone is the daughter of a preacher and didn't get into MIT, the only school she applied to. So, in her mind, her life is ruined. She stops existing, stops breathing, and stops (for all intents and purposes) living. And then, her dad does something drastic. He invites Teri Litch (Kate's enemy) and her family to live with her after Teri's house catches fire. Teri steals, smokes, cheats, and is currently raising her brother Mikey. They try to rebuild the house and Kate tries to put her life back together while struggling with the dichotomy of being a preacher's daughter and not believing in God.

I loved this book. Granted, I love everything Anderson writes. But this book caught my heart because I related to Kate. She struggled with perfectionism and pretending to be someone everyone thought she was. Kate was so relatable and I've noticed that about all of Anderson's characters. The way that the characters are written just makes them personal and real. ( )
  haileyblatter | Nov 17, 2018 |
Presents realistic high school relationships framed with compelling, dramatic situations. Written in quirky but enjoyable style using science as the back drop. Main character must meld her understanding and love of science with her pastor father's religious view of the world. Surprising friendships develop as a result of unexpected circumstances, including disasters ranging from not getting into college and losing everything in a fire. ( )
  jjcoop76 | Oct 22, 2018 |
Pretty good. Not as amazing as Speak, but still a compelling story. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
This book is dedicated to the memory of Edith MacDonald Larrabee.

Take my hand and walk with me into the forest . . .
I like to run at night. No one watches me. No one hears my sneakers slipping in the loose gravel at the side of the road.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,221,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible