Glow (Sky Chasers) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Glow (Sky Chasers) (edition 2011)

by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Series: Sky Chasers (1)

6619425,889 (3.62)10
Part of the first generation to be conceived in deep space, fifteen-year-old Waverly is expected to marry young and have children to populate a new planet, but a violent betrayal by the dogmatic leader of their sister ship could have devastating consequences.
Member:writemeg
Title:Glow (Sky Chasers)
Authors:Amy Kathleen Ryan
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:dystopia, science fiction, young adult

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (jenreidreads)
    jenreidreads: YA science fiction with romance...great stuff.
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (cleoppa)
    Gone by Michael Grant (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Since Glow has a Lord of the Flies (almost) exclusively kids free for all section in a good chunk of the book then the Gone series would have a similar theme

Wow, forgot I had this on here -- never did finish it. It was pretty uninteresting. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
In writing Glow, Amy Kathleen Ryan has achieved something that few writers manage: she has put forward a novel that offers readers both enthralling action and an intelligent commentary on human nature and behaviour. Just as it is extremely difficult to put Glow down, it is also difficult to come away from reading this novel without thinking deeply about the events within its pages and the beliefs, motivations and manipulations that inspire them. Readers looking for something fluffy and mindless should look elsewhere; here they will find the darker side of humanity, in all its many guises.

One of the most commendable aspects of Glow is Ryan's respect for her audience. She does not shy away from topics such as sexual assault, parental violence and loss, but rather paints a futuristic world that reflects the failings of our own, simultaneously adding to the authenticity of her universe and characters and acknowledging the ability of young readers to cope with darker literary content. Indeed, it is this frankness that helps give Glow the "crossover appeal" that is so greatly coveted in the YA publishing world. I would have no hesitation recommending it to adult readers; while the novel's protagonists may be teenagers, its themes and ideas are ageless.

Glow focusses on two main characters, Waverly and Kieran, with the novel switching between their (third person limited) perspectives. Waverly is a fantastic character. She is strong in all the right ways, without ever feeling too capable to the point of being unrealistic. When she is rash, her behaviour is motivated by her feelings for the people around her, and she does not cope easily with the darker side of fighting back. Her interactions with other female characters are cooperative, and she has worth in her own right, not just in relation to the novel's male characters. There should be more YA protagonists like Ryan's Waverly.

In contrast, I found Kieran more difficult to like and certainly more difficult to identify with. It is a testimony to Ryan's ability that his sections of the text could be different enough from Waverly's sections that they were able to leave me with a feeling of uneasiness, as opposed to my easy appreciation of Waverly. Kieran's self-assuredness and conviction felt somehow dangerous. And yet Seth, whose actions should have made me despise him, seemed more likeable - and perhaps even safer. He is violent and dishonest, but somehow Ryan manages to convey that there is more to him than that. I loved the fact that I didn't know how to feel where Glow's main male characters were concerned.

The most obvious example of Ryan's talent for tearing reader assumptions into pieces can be seen through her exploration of the attitudes and actions of the religious and secular leaders aboard the two ships. There is no easy, black-and-white delineation of good and bad here. Glow is a study in greys. That is what makes it such a great book. My only real criticism is that this uncertainty extends to the novel's conclusion. As the first book in a series, it lacks a solid ending, encouraging the reader to return for more – but perhaps leaving them a little unsatisfied in the interim.

I hope that Glow will receive the recognition and popularity it deserves. In a market that deals so often in reworks of the latest fad, it stands apart as a book with true depth. I can't wait to read the sequel. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. OK, that's not exactly right. I was expecting something like Across the Universe and, in a way, this was a bit like that series. But then it wasn't. There was a lot more action and excitement and suspense in this series. I found myself both liking and hating the main characters all at the same time and by the end of the book, I'm a little torn as to who I think is right and who I think is wrong. I'm definitely anxious to see where things go from here. I wanted to jump right in on book two as soon as I finished listening to the first book but then I realized that it's a very long time before the third book comes out and decided to hold out a little while so that I won't be distraught waiting for that final book.

I thought both narrators did a great job. I listened to this audiobook on a recent road trip and it definitely made the trip fly by. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I really liked the overall plot and action in “Glow”. I’m still kind of new to some styles of the sci-fi genre so reading this book was a nice break from the books that I usually read. The story’s setting in space made it even more interesting to me. Our main character Waverly (which I thought was a pretty name) is considering marriage with her long time boyfriend, Kieran (also a pretty awesome name). From the start of the book we are immediately thrown into action as the girls form Empyrean are kidnapped by their sister ship for their “own good”.

We, as readers, get to follow Waverly and Kieran who narrate the various chapters of the events that are happening in on each ship. This made reading the book even more exciting, because the chapters end at a climatic point and quickly shift to an opposite narrative making you shout “Nooo! What happens next?!” It definitely kept me on my toes. The novel also kind of reminded by of the novel “The Lost Boys” by William Goulding except it’s set in space. It interesting to see the children cope as survivors in this situation and how they will work together to come to solutions and make everything right again.
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
I’m gonna keep this review real. I’m going to be very strict and harsh. I loved what it started out as but by the end I was disgusted.
This is a terrible series. Not in because of the way it was structured, the beginning reveals enough setting to know what’s up and there’s no annoying assumption that we know what the world looks like, but the voice isn’t consistent. It’s a third point narrative yet by the end of the first book it feels like someone stabbed the original story teller and took his place. There were no hints or undertones towards the feeling of animosity there is at the end. However in the beginning it was suggested that Kieran and Seth were the leadership archetypes and one would win in the endbut then Seth showed why he couldn’t be this leader when he started bullying the little boys and starting a dictatorship. But Kieran began building strong qualities of leadership abilities like public speaking, quick action, resourcefulness, and charm. So when a Waverly turns on him it’s suddenly because he’s a cult leader. AND IT MADE NO SENSE TO ME BECAUSE OF HOW THE BEGINNING WAS SET UP. So all of a sudden he’s a dictator because everyone listens to him…
It is not a book for the faint heart. dozens of adults are killed within 10 pages, others are tortured (in a sense), the rest basically commit suicide entering a radioactive floor for hours, 13-16 year old girls are violated and taken advantage of to steal their fertile ovaries. The “pastor” of the other ship is painted as a cult leader: cunning, manipulative, charming. Kids die. Yup
There’s a pinch of romance (trigger warning: love triangle), the thrill of a tiny mystery, a ton of action, the promise of growth for our main hero but the end just rubbed me the wrong way in this book. ( )
  Jessika.C | Aug 20, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause him to withdraw his present help from us, we shall be made a story and a by-word through the world.

—John Winthrop, founding member of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, in his work A Model of Christian Charity, 1630
Through all the Empyréan. Down they fell, Driven headlong from the pitch of Heaven...

—John Milton, Paradise Lost
For Alice
The other ship hung in the sky like a pendant, silver in the ether light cast by the nebula.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,751,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible