Glow (Sky Chasers) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Glow (Sky Chasers) (edition 2011)

by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Series: Sky Chasers (1)

Part of the first generation to be conceived in deep space, fifteen-year-old Waverly is expected to marry young and have children to populate a new planet, but a violent betrayal by the dogmatic leader of their sister ship could have devastating consequences.
Member:writemeg
Title:Glow (Sky Chasers)
Authors:Amy Kathleen Ryan
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:dystopia, science fiction, young adult

Work Information

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (cleoppa)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (jenreidreads)
    jenreidreads: YA science fiction with romance...great stuff.
    Gone by Michael Grant (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Since Glow has a Lord of the Flies (almost) exclusively kids free for all section in a good chunk of the book then the Gone series would have a similar theme

CW: Girls kidnapped for future baby production. ( )
  Mrs_Tapsell_Bookzone | Feb 14, 2023 |
Lots of reviews are comparing this to the Hunger Games. My reaction to this book was kind of similar. I couldn't put it down because the plot is completely gripping, but when it was done I wasn't sure if I could say I liked it or not. It raises a lot of questions, so it would be a great book to generate discussion. I tend to love a book with characters that are well developed, and Glow introduces the characters in such a complex way that it's impossible to know yet how I feel about them - I'll have to read the second book to decide whether or not I'm going to love this series. ( )
  kamlibrarian | Dec 23, 2022 |
My Review for this...is gone? how and why? ( )
  Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
Earth has increasingly become uninhabitable, acid rains from the sky, fertile lands give way to barren deserts and people starve. For Kieran and Waverly and the other children aboard the space ship Empyrean they have no recollections of the harshness that Earth has become, but nor have they ever experienced sunshine, wind or the sea. Being born in space headed for a New Earth these children are humanities hope for a future.

Life aboard the Empyrean was simple and apart from living in a metal ship flying through space Waverly was just an average girl. That is until Kieran proposes to her. Waverly knows it is her duty to marry and have children of her own, being almost sixteen many would say she is old enough for such responsibility, but Waverly is not so sure. Although Kieran is kind and in truth she does love him, she can't help being drawn to another.

However when the Empyrean's companion ship the New Horizon approaches, Waverly discovers there are more important things in life besides love, there is survival. Separated from everyone she loves, surrounded by lies, deception and harsh truths, Waverly endures abuse, violence and kindness at the hands of these strangers that have captured her. Kieran, on the other hand will undergo torture, responsibilities and transformation with those who have been left behind.

Glow is just the beginning of this exceptional space adventure that will hold you captive. A brilliantly complex story that allows for heroes to make mistakes and the villains to act with the best intentions. This is a tale of two children growing up too soon, experiencing their world irrevocably changed and learning home will never be the same again. More then a story of humanities quest for a future, it is a dark and unvarnished look at how far people will go to survive. Simply a great read. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
This is pretty much my first sci-fi book.

The characters are all really complex. One minute I really like them and the next Im not too sure.
Parts where Im like "NO NO NO!"

so my emotions are all over the place, but I couldn't put it down, so thats good.

Now im just left feeling confused at the end and wanting more.

Joy_Bush | Jul 22, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause him to withdraw his present help from us, we shall be made a story and a by-word through the world.

â€”John Winthrop, founding member of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, in his work A Model of Christian Charity, 1630
Through all the Empyréan. Down they fell, Driven headlong from the pitch of Heaven...

—John Milton, Paradise Lost
For Alice
The other ship hung in the sky like a pendant, silver in the ether light cast by the nebula.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,937,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible