The Kingdom of Gods (The Inheritance…

The Kingdom of Gods (The Inheritance Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by N. K. Jemisin

For 2,000 years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.
Member:evareads
Title:The Kingdom of Gods (The Inheritance Trilogy)
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 624 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

I'm still overwhelmed by this series being over - I loved it, I loved the characters, I loved the concepts, and now I won't ever read anything else about them, and it's making me way sadder than it should. I don't even want to start another book now, because I feel as if if I do, I won't be as close to these characters anymore - and that is very strange for me, because I usually don't get this emotional over anything.

But back to the book itself - the main character, Sieh, was often annoying and bratty, which can really be expected, considering he is the god of childhood. Even so, I loved his different perspective on the world - yeah, his arrogance got really old, really fast, but as the fourth oldest being in the universe, I think it's only to be expected. I liked the idea of Shahar - the girl torn between what's easy and what's right - but I think having more "screen" time would have really helped her character - both she and her brother felt rather flat to me.

I loved that we finally got to see more of all three gods, and I finally started liking Itempas, too. I loved all the asides about how Yeine wasn't used to being a goddess yet and still did many things as a mortal, and I loved the subtle foreshadowing for her. And Nahadoth, of course, was incredible - from his always playing favorites, because his children were not equal, to his wisdom about the Itempas situation - I still think he had every right to be as angry and hurt as he was, and he still started forgiving his brother rather soon.

Glee and Ahad were awesome, too - I had already spoiled myself about them, so their reveals weren't much of a surprise (in fact, I found myself wondering if now was the time every time he was in a scene/talked about) I loved what little we got of Lil, too - she's a great character, always vibrant, weird as that is, considering who she is.

The plot was a bit all over the place, and I do wish we had seen more of that beggar girl with the silly hat - I really liked her and her street smarts, that nonetheless left her as a pretty caring person. We could have at least found out how she's doing at the end of the book, I think, though in a way, not knowing what had happened to somebody we knew reasonably well and likely cared about was a very good way to set the mood and make us emphasize with the characters. There were a few other places where it looked someone/something would be important, only for them to turn out to be unimportant to the plot as a whole. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it didn't work for me.

Still, it did show how vast the setting is, as well as how diverse. I loved it all, as well as how much deeper the book delved into its own mythology. I've always loved learning more about things like how gods are systematized and how far their abilities go.

All in all, a great book - there were a few things that I thought could be fleshed out, but they didn't bother me too much, and by the end I was torn between reading as fast as I could to find out what would happen, and never reading a single page again, because I didn't want it to be over.
  Dreklogar | Jan 13, 2020 |
Splendid conclusion to this trilogy. The first-person narration was as strong and effective as ever, and the journey we are taken on was wonderful - though I never really knew where we were going, and usually that would bother me. This time, though, I was along for the ride, and I think that's just the strength of NK Jemisin's writing; full of suggestions and hints, and just so very, very readable. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
I had a really hard time getting through this book. I enjoyed the first 2 in the series, but this one just didn't do it for me. Sieh is a good secondary character, but he's not a good main one like he is here. He spends the entire book being depressed about his situation, which doesn't make for compelling reading to me. I felt nothing for either him or any of the other characters. Very disappointed. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Several years later we get a story from the point of view of the Godling, Sieh. Still as demented and violent as godlings in the previous stories, he just wants a friend... The ruling family that used to enslave him has come down a bit, though still living in Sky, and everyone is out to get them. Sieh's got a few enemies also. Apocalyptic hi-jinks ensue. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
The Kingdom of Gods is the third book in N. K. Jemisin’s Inheritance trilogy. Like the first two books it tells a complete story, although I think the background from the earlier books adds more depth that one wouldn’t get if they jumped straight to this book for some ungodly reason. If I were a godling, I’d be the godling of Reading Series Books in Consecutive Order. :)

The story is set several decades after the last book and the main character is a godling that we’ve met before, but he’s new as a POV character. I’m going to put his name in spoiler tags for those who want to be surprised: Sieh, the godling of childhood, sometimes called the Trickster. Although he did some things that I didn’t like and could not respect, he was often a fun voice to narrate the story and I did like him quite well by the end. I thought there were a few slow spots, but it mostly held my interest. In fact, until I finished and started updating my notes, I completely forgot that it was 200 pages longer than each of the previous two books. It didn’t feel longer to me.

For most of the book I was planning to give this a solid 4 stars, or possibly 4.5 and round down to 4 on Goodreads, but the ending made me very happy. And then, in my edition anyway, it was followed up with a short story called Not the End which takes place after this third book but provides some closure to the second book. It was a bit sappy, but it made me happy too. And then that was followed up with a glossary that totally cracked me up. Clearly the author made the mistake of letting her main character get a hold of it! So after all of those smiles at the end, I decided to rate it at 4.5 stars and round up to 5 on Goodreads.

I have a few more spoiler-filled comments, mostly about the ending.
At the beginning of the book, Sieh said something about how he wasn’t going to play any tricks about who he was writing to, and then made snide references to how we found out who the narrators of the previous two books were writing to. Near the end of the book after Sieh died and Shahar took over the narration, I thought Sieh had actually played the cruelest trick of them all and I wasn’t very happy at all. But I was all smiles by the end of the Coda.

I think with every book in this trilogy I’ve reached the almost-end feeling unhappy about how things were clearly going to end, only to find that the author still had one more trick up her sleeve that at least partially turned things around for me. I still had mixed feelings about the final endings of the first two books, but I really liked the end of this one. The short story at the end made me feel happier about the second book also, especially given the misinformation that Glee had intentionally given to Sieh during book three.
1 vote YouKneeK | Apr 16, 2019 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She looks so much like Enefa, I think, the first time I see her.

The incredible conclusion to the Inheritance Trilogy, from one of fantasy's most acclaimed stars.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.

Shahar, last scion of the family, must choose her loyalties. She yearns to trust Sieh, the godling she loves. Yet her duty as Arameri heir is to uphold the family's interests, even if that means using and destroying everyone she cares for.

As long-suppressed rage and terrible new magics consume the world, the Maelstrom -- which even gods fear -- is summoned forth. Shahar and Sieh: mortal and god, lovers and enemies. Can they stand together against the chaos that threatens?

Includes a never before seen story set in the world of the Inheritance Trilogy.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043931, 031604394X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,804,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible