77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

77 Shadow Street (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Dean Koontz

Enter the world of the Pendleton, a beautiful limestone Gilded Age palace that's been converted into a set of highly desirable condominiums. Its tenants feel lucky to live there. Yet luck and the Pendleton have little in common; its years have been colored by madness, kidnappings, murder, and strange, inexplicable accidents.… (more)
Member:lescollins42
Title:77 Shadow Street
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: 1st ptg, Hardcover, 451 pages

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz (2011)

English (44)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (46)
Review: 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz.

This book fits into the category of science fiction and contains a complete serving of Koontz themes of the past. It also contains time travel, weird happenings, more monsters than we can count, and bad guys, crazy well developed scientist and I can’t forget Good vs. Evil. Koontz drifts from one character to another describing the special characteristic each one brings to the story. Koontz chose a great environment for his characters. It’s an old perfect renovated hotel mansion that will haunt the readers if they don’t keep tract of the characters. When things began to pick up in the story, things started falling together, things fell apart, monsters appeared from nowhere, friends were even turning into monsters, and time travel switched back and forth through centuries at a fast pace.

The hotel was placed on a time-space fault, bringing into play the celestial cosmic forces of space of Good vs. Evil. The heroic happenings were carried out in rapid order in a deteriorating environment of extraterrestrial chaos. There is plenty of action for the reader. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Aug 1, 2021 |
Wish I had read the reviews first. Second disappointing Koontz novel I've read recently. A mansion, converted to condos, is haunted by an evil phenom every 38 years. Too many characters to follow. Skip it. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this one.

Part creepy ghost story, part Lovecraft style nightmare, part sci-fi monster romp, with a strong message against technology that loses sight of humanity. The monsters, and there were plenty of them in all shapes and sizes, were nasty, deadly, and creatively imagined. The plot and structure were tight and propelled toward the finale. The characters were well drawn and acted in a very realistic fashion. Koontz even managed to fit in a couple of Golden Retrievers (all Dean Koontz books must have a good dog in there somewhere) before it was all said and done.

What is not to like with this novel? Nothing. Well written, compelling, and fun. Nothing wrong with that. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
This only just got 4 stars due to Dean Koontz's seemingly uncanny ability to mess up a fantastic story right at the very end. He did this with Phantoms by wimping out and invoking the great god, Science, and now he's gone and done the same thing again here.

It was a truly great ride right up to the last 100 pages(approx.) when he decided to introduce what he clearly thought was a really cool and unexpected twist by letting us know that the house was in fact built on a tear in space-time which caused future creatures which from what I could make out are future humans that have been adjusted by some sort of nano-machines that use the human as a host upon orders of some sort of intelligence called the One. This is all very well and good, and is hinted at throughout the novel with various messages being heard by the various characters, but I really do wish Mr Koontz would have the guts to not make it about how great and all powerful science is. Just for once I'd like it to be about how powerful nature, or demons, or some sort of weird and wonderful creature is. Not something enhanced with nano-tech or something being beaten and dispatched because, of course, science is so much more powerful than mere nature.

This novel isn't nearly as bad as I'm making out, but it is very annoying when I'm 90% through the novel wondering what this demonic creature is and where it comes from and why it's here and getting really excited to know whether it turns out to be an ancient god, or a demonic power previously unknown, or some other force of nature that got screwed up somewhere in the dim and distant past, only to find out that it comes down to Koontz's great god Science, ...yet again!

Read this for the first 90%, then stop and make up your own ending. You'll be happier, and it'll be a better novel for it. ( )
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
I really wanted to like this book. The blurb sounded interesting and creepy. But.....Dean Koontz is hit or miss for me. This one is a miss.

I DNF'd this about 150 pages. Why?

The story moves too slowly. No real suspense or action.
Weird, mostly unseen, mysterious creature sneaking up on people -- Koontz Trope.
Very little character development.

This one is not for me. DNF and taking it back to the library. Sometimes I really enjoy Koontz.....other times.....meh. It did keep me entertained while I spent 3 hours getting my hair colored and cut......but not entertaining enough for me to finish the book.
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O Dunkel Dunkel Dunkel, Sie alle gehen ins Dunkel ... - T.S. Eliot: "East Coker"
Wie langsam er kriecht, der Schatten; doch ist es so weit,
Wie rasch sich die Schatten dann senken. Wie rasch! Wie rasch! - Hilaire Belloc: "An eine Sonnenuhr"
From here in the Nutland,
To Ed and Carol Gorman,
Out there in the Heartland,
With undiminished affection
after all these years.
Bitter and drunk, Earl Blandon, a former United States senator, got home at 2:15 A.M. that Thursday with a new tattoo: a two-word obscenity in blue block letters between the knuckles of the middle finger of his right hand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,472,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible