The Travelling Restaurant by Barbara Else

The Travelling Restaurant

by Barbara Else

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
Jasper is just an ordinary boy who lives in a place where the monarch is oh so adorable! Or that's what everyone says in fear so they don't get taken away. He doesn't understand how people do that. He also doesn't understand why his mother keeps on telling everyone that he is ten instead of twelve. And then he sees Lady Gall put something in his little sister's mouth and everything goes haywire after that. He's left alone and ends up going on a ship with a restaurant that has an odd set of people that he soon finds out are not only odd but important. They're against Lady Gall taking the crown but I don't even they would have expected this much trouble from an ordinary boy like Jasper. Stealing orphans, bribing pirates, and you the reader discovering that this isn't just an ordinary boy after all.

Well this one took me awhile so you know it wasn't as captivating as it could be BUT that doesn't mean it was bad. It actually was pretty good. Another "I didn't expect" type of book. I would just say it is for a certain type of reader. It's a journey but I thought there would be more action less talking. Jasper is very likable and I felt sorry for him because everyone kept calling him plain and he was anything but. He loved his sister very much and his sister was a toddler so that's love! I know I shouldn't say this but it was too long. The average middle schooler is not going to keep there attention on this book for that long. Again it's a certain type of reader. An actual READER. Someone who likes to read a lot. So other than that this book was a unique one. The plot was a great one with an evil monarch wanted to take over who was kind of reminiscent to the one in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in A Ship of her own Making. I'm happy that I finally got to finish it and it ended nicely.

http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/ ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Fans of Lemony Snicket and The Mysterious Benedict Society would enjoy this middle grade book. ( )
  bksgoddess | Apr 3, 2013 |
Jasper Ludlow is a relatable young boy, even as he's being pursued across seas, river and land by a corrupt ruler, pirates, seagulls and a reporter with questionable allegiance. The Traveling Restaurant itself is a boat that just might have a bit of magic onboard, even if it just helps them choose the right menu at each port of call. But in a world where "magic" is a forbidden word, it's enough to place its crew in danger -- and when the fugitive Jasper comes onboard, they're in for a wild ride.
While much of this adventure was exciting and unique, it started to get a bit repetitive toward the end and some of the writing was awkward and terse, especially as I was reading it aloud. Still, Z and I had some fun with this book.

http://webereading.com/2012/10/kidlit-trio-traveling-restaurant.html ( )
  klpm | Oct 29, 2012 |
When Jasper turns 12 everything changes. His little sister gets sick, his uncle turns up and his parents insist they must all leave. But Jasper gets left behind and ends up in a boat that is a travelling restaurant, frantically trying to find his little sister who has been kidnapped by Lady Gall, the provisional monarch.
This book is a great mix of adventure and mystery with a good dollop of fantasy and humour. It would suit readers aged 10 and up ( )
  RefPenny | Jul 28, 2011 |
The fabulous cover of this book was what first caught my attention. I knew that anything with a cover that great must be wonderful and my expectations were fulfilled. Frequently hilarious, this enchanting tale is told in three parts: ‘Breakfast on the Travelling Restaurant’; ‘Lunch with the Secret Prince’ and ‘Barbecue with the True Crown’. Twelve-year-old Jasper, a seemingly ordinary boy, lives in the kingdom of Fontania with his mother, Lady Helen, and his father, Dr Ludlow, a scientist. Since the mysterious circumstances of ‘The Great Accident’ when a scientific experiment went terribly wrong and destroyed the Eastern Lake and the magic maintaining an ideal kingdom, the tyrannical ruler or ‘Provisional Monarch’ Lady Gall, has been in charge. Jasper's father has to work in a laboratory all day making something called 'beauteen', a kind of botox that is injected into Lady Gall to keep her looking young and beautiful.

After Jasper’s Uncle Trump turns up, his parents suddenly flee the city, leaving him behind. Later he finds that they are imprisoned and his sister Sybillia kidnapped. Jasper seeks sanctuary on a ship called ‘The Travelling Restaurant’ crewed by feisty Polly and old Dr Rocket. The restaurant provides food delights which during their travels Jasper often uses as bribery against Lady Gall’s cabbage and bean fed guards. Rocket and Polly assist Jasper in his quest to find Sybilla and overthrow Lady Gall, the usurper who secretly plans to become Queen. Encountering fierce storms, hungry pirates, whirlpools, and troublesome monkeys they sail around the coast and islands of Fontania.

Cover artist Sam Broad has designed wonderful fold-out maps for inside the front and back of this book. A most wonderful and fantastical voyage, very enjoyable. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jul 10, 2011 |

Twelve-year-old Jasper Ludlow embarks on an adventure in search for his baby sister and his quest to save the kingdom of Fontania from the Provisional Monarch, Lady Gall.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible