Blood Rights (House of Comarré) by…

Blood Rights (House of Comarré)

by Kristen Painter

Blood Rights is an urban fantasy story with more unexpected twists to it than a roller coaster in the dark. It's not only a fresh take on the urban fantasy genre, but a fresh take on vampires as well.

What sets it apart from the competition is the strength of it's core characters, each of them cursed in some fashion, but stronger for it. For starters, we have Chysabelle - a comarre cursed by the circumstances of her birth. Born to the life of a blood-whore, and secretly trained as a lethal assassin, she is on the run from the most terrifying vampire of all, and accidentally bound to an outcast vampire just as cursed as she is. Malkolm, the outcast vampire in question, is a human hunter turned vampire, expelled from the noble ranks of the undead, and cursed to wear the names of his victims upon his skin, and to hear their voices in his head.

Doc is a varcolai shapeshifter, also cursed. A loyal comrade of Mal, limited to taking on the form of a common housecat when transformed, he is forever tied by his own conscience to the vampire who rescued him . . . and to the ghost that he wears. That ghost, Fi, is the most tragic of the lot. As the victim whose death triggered Mal's curse, she's not just a name he wears and a voice that he hears, but a ghost who physically haunts him.It's her love for Doc that binds vampire, varcolai, and ghost together, and it is Doc's love for her that eventually ties the comarre to them all.

As for that terrifying vampire I mentioned, the dangerously erotic Tatiana, she is cursed as well - both by her dark pact with the fathers of vampirism, and by her role in the curse of another . . . which is one of those delicious twists we only discover near the very end.

This is a dark story, set in a dark future that's not too different from our own. It's not quite a dystopia, but certainly a future lacking in shiny monuments to progress. It's also a very edgy story, dealing with themes of slavery and submission, and with the more dangerous elements of vampirism (notably sex and the concept of 'pure' evil) that seems to have fallen out of favour lately. As a reader who is all too sick of friendly, sparkly, reluctant vampires who only want to be loved, this was a refreshing change.

Having said that, there are several romantic subplots to the story, but they are handled very well. With the exception of Doc and Fi, the romances tie directly into the theme of slavery and submission, tainting the thrill of erotic discovery with the horror of the monstrous. On the surface, the romances are both curious and distasteful - to the characters, as well as the readers - but Kristen does a superb job of developing the characters so that that we accept the romances and find ourselves wanting them to work.

There's a lot of work required here to establish the characters, the world, and the mythology, but the pace never lags. It's a story that grabs you from the start, and one that keeps you turning pages late into the night. The action is bloody and intense, with beheadings and exploding vampires galore, and the fight scenes are inventive enough to be exciting, without dragging on and becoming gratuitously showy. The writing itself is gorgeous, conveying as much about the world Kristen has built as the story itself, and the dialogue is sharp and smart.

With the groundwork laid, and the next two books due to be released within months of this one, I cannot wait to see where Kristen is taking all of this, and what the ultimate payoff will be. ( )
  bibrarybookslut | Jul 5, 2017 |
Love, love, love it :) ( )
  Wasabiishot | May 9, 2017 |
The cover art hooked me first. Then the summary. And on the list it went. Now that I'm trying to make a sizable dent in my 'to-read' list, I picked it up thinking I needed a good old vampire fantasy story to burrow into. It was actually better than I expected. I enjoyed how strong the female lead is and I enjoyed the battle of wills between her and the male lead. There is a little predictability in the budding romance, but we're still early enough along that a lot could happen to block that romance in the next book. Even though I'm trying to lessen my to-read list I will be adding the sequel of this book to the list to replace this title, because I am interested in seeing what happens in this plot. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 22, 2016 |
I found this book while looking through a recent copy of RT magazine. I instantly fell in love with the cover. It was just different and I was drawn to the detail.

And yes the story was really good once I stopped staring at the cover.

Can't wait to start the next one ( )
  purpleprincess1311 | Mar 8, 2016 |

And yes the story was really good once I stopped staring at the cover.

Can't wait to start the next one ( )
  purpleprincess1311 | Mar 8, 2016 |

Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle's body bears the telltale marks of a comarré — a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world...and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now, Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316084778, Mass Market Paperback)

Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle's body bears the telltale marks of a comarré -- a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world...and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Although human, Chrysabelle was born to serve vampire nobility. But when her patron is killed and she becomes the prime suspect, she flees to the mortal world and seeks help from the outcast vampire Malkolm.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kristen Painter's book Blood Rights was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,301,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible