Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2) by Scott…

Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2) (edition 2005)

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (2)

Member:something.happy
Title:Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A girl's journey through a dystopian future society.

English (251)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (255)
After reading [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #01)|Scott Westerfeld|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358962036s/24770.jpg|2895388] I was not sure I even wanted to try this one. Well, I did and I am still unsure about how I really feel about the book or the series.

This was like a complete replay of Uglies just on the other side of the street or river or whatever the heck it was.

I was so sick of hearing about the Bubbles and the happy perky pretty people by the time I ended this book. I know that one day I will finish this series but it is not high on my too read list. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I've given this book 4 stars and I must say that I'm waffling as to whether or not to give it 3. I think that I'm going to stick with my original decision because I tend to give high marks to books which make me think about them after I've read them.

I think that the things I dislike about this book is that Tally has become a Pretty and they represent everything I've ever hated about popular, selfish, materialistic and vain people. I know that she does it to try and save her friend, but the first few chapters were really difficult to get into because I felt like I was at a 12 year old's slumber party except with adults. At times, I wanted to jump into the book and start slapping people.

I disliked her treatment of David and I'm really not into love triangles. I find them to be very tedious and somewhat predictable.

I don't have a problem reading YA fiction, but this book felt particularly young, which is why I think that I might have a problem with it. Uglies seemed so much more grown up and I guess I expected the same from this one. I got Specials from the library to read right after this and I'm still going to read it because I believe in you, Scott Westerfield. I loved his Leviathan books and I'm going to have faith that Specials is going to impress me. I'll let you know how that goes. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Uglies series, this book again follows our protagonist around as she is about to make the choice to become pretty or to go to a camp in which she will be able to rebel. One of the hardest things about this is the way that she see's herself and how much she is being pressured into conforming and becoming the ideal "pretty." I love this book because it shows the inner struggle that Tally is going through when she is trying to make the choice on going or staying. I think that children can learn a lot from this and that this book may help to show people that they are not alone when they think that they can't live up to others standards. I would easily recommend this book as well. This is also a futuristic science fiction book, because it is set in the future with technology that is not out yet. ( )
  rprado14 | Apr 13, 2016 |
This started very interesting something like animal farm a hidden meaning. Then it started dragging and dragging later it was moving so slow it made me tired to read it.

A book like this usually takes me 2 - 3 days it almost took me two weeks!! When the end came I was interested again it made a big turn and there was a nice twist I just feel there was a bit of a fall in the story that shouldn't have been there.

Plot :

Uglies and Pretties smokies and rusties.

Prettie town is a place where brainless person's live because off an operation that took there free will away and made them beautiful nobody knows there brainwashed accept Tally youngblood and her friend Zane together they go on an adventure to find a cure and to escape the special circumstances who will keep you brainwashed no matter what it takes.

themes : Rich VS poor
Right VS Wrong
Love VS Freedom
  SnowBookHollow | Apr 13, 2016 |
First of all I must say, what a cliffhanger! So be warned, if you do not have book 3 waiting to start when you finish this book, you may be irritated and antsy! I finished this book last night and immediately started on book 3 until I fell asleep! Like any good dystopian book, this series keeps you on your toes. One minute you think things just might work out for Tally and then an unexpected twist happens that you did not see coming at all. This book was far from predictable, so if you like being thrown for a loop, this series is for you. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
The kind of book I loved reading at 15 or 16: damned fine science fiction and damned fine yarns.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Sleeping Beauty

Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless.

- John Ruskin, The Stones of Venice, I
To the Australian SF community for all your acceptance and support.
Getting dressed was always the hardest part of the afternoon.
Part II: The Cure

and kisses are a better fate

than wisdom

- e.e. cummings, "since feeling is first"
Part III: Outside

The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Gorgeous. Popular.

Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

Tally's transformation to perfect and popular including her totally hot boyfriend is everything she always wanted. But beneath the fun and freedom something is wrong and now Tally has to fight for her life because what she knows has put her in danger with the authorities.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,221,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible