Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind…

by Ben Mezrich (Author)

Member:23points
Title:Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History
Authors:Ben Mezrich (Author)
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Tags:2019, male author 2019, crime, heist, science, prison

Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich

To Read (263)

A bit too sympathetic toward a brazen thief, and must needs be taken with a healthy pinch of salt given the recreated dialogue, changed names, &c. But certainly a crazy story, engagingly told ... ( )
  JBD1 | Jun 16, 2019 |
As I read this book, I simply couldn’t shake the feeling that the story of Thad Roberts—an excommunicated Mormon college student who landed an internship at NASA, fell madly in love with a fellow intern, and somehow managed to steal a bunch of moon rocks from an as-it-turns-out-not-so-secure-lab at the Johnson Space Center—just wasn’t as intriguing as the author seemed to think it was.

The story is certainly unique and mildly interesting, but this 300+ page book probably would have worked a lot better as a feature article in The New Yorker or The Atlantic. A mildly interesting read, but really just a change of pace—unless you’re a NASA or astronomy enthusiast. ( )
  jimrgill | Aug 7, 2018 |
A very interesting read, but I still can't believe that he threw away a chance to work for NASA by committing this crime. I can't decide if its just being too smart for your own good, or just plain stupidity. ( )
  bribre01 | May 6, 2018 |
Let’s keep this brief. I’ve wasted enough hours I’ll never get back on this thing.

The dialogue is trite, The characters are cardboard. The prose is purple. All the women are “hot” and all the men are legends in their own minds. The sex scenes make Penthouse letters seems romantic and highbrow. Anything at all that would have made this an interesting book has been thoroughly smothered in Cheez Whiz. (And I never thought I’d say this unsarcastically, but here goes: my apologies to Kraft Foods.) I’m really not sure whether to shelve this as fiction or non-fiction. It strains the credibility of both labels.

Merzich's niche seems to be writing books with ridiculously long, hyperbolic titles in which socially awkward nerds who desperately want to get laid do something brassy (and usually illegal or unethical), get filthy rich, and either have it crash around them or become even bigger jackasses. He seems to suggest being an attention-starved, self-entitled, brazen jerk makes these men admirable and “cool.” I don’t think we need Sigmund Freud to figure out what’s going on with that.

It was not the "most audacious heist." It may have been among the most childish and stupid.

No doubt this flaccid mess will be made into a movie. (After all, Hollywood keeps letting Adam Sandler make movies, in spite of That's My Boy.) No doubt Merzich will laugh all the way to the bank. No doubt I’ll avoid his books in the future. ( )
  Yaaresse | Apr 24, 2018 |
Thad Roberts was extremely driven. After deciding to return to school and become an astronaut he was accepted to the NASA intern program. Together with his girlfriend and another intern, they decided to steal the moon rocks from a highly secured lab. ( )
  lilibrarian | Dec 19, 2016 |
The creative non-fiction style gives the book more eloquent prose and a direct view into the characters’ minds, but it can be slightly off-putting in a book nominally based on real, recent history.

Ben Mezrichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Affleck, CaseyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Asher - this one will always be special because you came into our world somewhere between Chapter 1 and Chapter 10. And maye, just maybe, by the time you're old enough to read this, together we'll be watching someone take those first steps on Mars...
It had to be the greatest getaway in history.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385533926, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2011: In this true story of love and adventure, nothing can stop Thad Roberts from keeping a promise to his girlfriend Rebecca--not even NASA security. When he's in the lab, Roberts is a brilliant NASA co-op intern, but the other interns know him better for devising thrill-seeking activities, like cliff diving and sneaking into the shuttle simulator. When he realizes that scientists consider moon rocks worthless once they’ve been in experiments, Roberts starts to wonder… if they’re worthless, how could stealing them be wrong? Ben Mezrich, author of The Accidental Billionaires (which inspired the movie The Social Network), starts each section with excerpts of Roberts’s love letters to Rebecca from prison, providing a love-drunk context for Roberts’ journey as the moon rock heist balloons from idle fantasy to stark reality. Behind-the-scenes looks at NASA’s Johnson Space Center and thriller-like action that ranges from the U.S. to Belgium make for an enthralling read for anyone who ever dreamed about being an astronaut--or promised to give someone else the moon. --Malissa Kent

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

In 2002, NASA fellow Thad Roberts hatched the most daring heist ever conceived: steal NASA's precious moon rocks. With the help of his girlfriend and another female cohort, both NASA interns, Roberts successfully stole the rocks. However, selling the invaluable stones proved to be Roberts' downfall.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ben Mezrich's book Sex on the Moon was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,450,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible