Old MacDonald Had a Farm by Holly Berry

Old MacDonald Had a Farm

by Holly Berry

SUMMARY
The story was about Old MacDonaldand and his farm of animals. The storyline follows the song that all little children ehjoy singing. As the story unfolds it starts with an animal and the sound it makes. He has animals ranging from a cat to donkey. All the animals are having a great time with Old MacDonald.
PERSONAL REACTION
I enjoyed the book however it has become tiresome to me because my kids have always liked to sing it and the kids that I have observed in my field observations also loved this song. It's a great but it's alittle too old for me.Im glad that the words can be changed but still keep the same tune for those who enjoy the song. I liked how the illustrator captured all the characters having fun and playing their instruments.
CLASSROOM EXTENSION IDEAS
1. I would use this book if we were talking about farm animals amd the sounds they make.
2.This book would be great for circle time and the students can use their hands and feet to keep up with the rhythm.
3.I would use this for a lesson plan on farmers and their duties to the animals.
  rmewife | Feb 10, 2015 |
Summary of book: Old MacDonald Had a Farm is a story about a farmer who has all of these animals, and they all have a different way of speaking. For example, old MacDonald had a farm EIEIO, and on his farm he had a pig EIEIO, with an oink oink here and an oink oink there, here an oink, there an oink, everywhere an oink oink, old MacDonald had a farm EIEIO. This is said through out the book with every animal he had on his farm.

Personal Reflection: I remember singing this song when I was little, and reading the story as well. I thought this story was nice to teach the children what the different noises the animals make. This book is not only a catchy tune, but it is also educational.

Extension of Book: My first idea is to add our own animal to the song, and adding the noise that animal makes as well. My second idea is to draw the farmer singing with the animal we picked to make our own MacDonald Farm. ( )
  AmberTrujillo | Feb 11, 2014 |
Summary:
Just the same old song we have sang with our children. This book is uniquely illustrated, fun, and EIEIO!

Personal Reactions:
Love, love, love this book! The illustrations were a great amusement to my children, with all of the music and animal sounds and just plain craziness.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. This book would be great to introduce or enforce musical, lyrical, instrument, dance, motion, and can be used as a powerful brain break.

2. The way that this book is illustrated, you can just see and show what the animals are and sound like. Make this into a game or a game show using the Old McDonalds' theme and song to make it more lively. ( )
  LeviLloyd | Sep 11, 2013 |
Summary: It is about a man who has a farm and all the animals that live on the farm.

Personal Reaction: I remember singing this song when I was a child.

Classroom Extension: Have students sing "EIEIO" on every page as I read. Have students sing the song after we read the book.
  SarahWadusky | Feb 11, 2013 |
Summary: A traditional literature story about a farmer named Old MacDonald. This lyrical story is often sung with various animals making their barnyard noises.

Personal reaction: I have heard this song ever since I was a toddler. The pictures are an extension of the text, and they provide a great view of how I imagined in my head.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
A. I would have each student draw their favorite animal. We would talk about the animal and the different sounds it made and add on to "Old MacDonald's farm".
B. I could pull up an actual barn on the internet, and the students could virtually take a tour of a barn. ( )
  eg5274 | Feb 11, 2013 |

The inhabitants of Old MacDonald's farm are described, verse by verse. Includes music on last page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,441,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible