Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness…

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life (1991)

by Thich Nhat Hanh, Arnold Kotler (Editor)

Other authors: Dalai Lama XIV, Bstan-ʼdzin-rgya-mtsho (Foreword)

I am a Christian and typically do not look to other religious traditions for Spiritual counsel or advice. I live in fidelity to Jesus happily drinking the water from my own cistern, but still all truth is God's truth. I had this book kicking around and since I feel like North America's biggest religious challenge comes from the East I read it and in itI encountered wise counsel and good advice about being present in the moment and practicing life mindfully.

Thich Nhat Hanh advocates that we be fully engaged in the reality of the world around us rather than seek solace in escapist strategies, mindlessness and fantasy. This is all very good if it's kept in its place. Thich's approach suggested that if we could cultivate this mindfulness in ourselves all the time, then we would achieve our enlightenment. This illustrates a fundamental difference between Christianity and Buddhism. In Buddhism,the person achieves enlightentment through self-discipline; in Christianity, Jesus dies so that we may live.

So as a Christian, I find myself fundamentally at odds with the ways in which Thich Naht Nanh approaches the world, salvation, the spiritual journey all the while acknowledging that pieces of his approach ring true.
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
The book contains a lot of useful ideas about being mindful, coming back to the present by focusing on your breath, and recognizing the interconnectedness of all things. I think it's a collection of pieces written at different times--it doesn't have a continuous flow. But it's short and pretty clear. I read some of the sections a couple of times. ( )
  Jim53 | Jan 24, 2017 |
Peace Is Every Step is a simply gorgeous collection of teachings, meditations, and anecdotes that is deeply spiritual while remaining accessible. I borrowed it from the library, but I intend on getting my own copy so I can have it for a quick bout of encouragement whenever I need it. ( )
1 vote shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
This is the most peaceful book I have ever read. Just reading it put me in a good frame of mind. Thank you Caroline and Rob for the recommend! ( )
1 vote Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |

Thich Nhat Hanhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kotler, ArnoldEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bstan-ʼdzin-rgya-mt… Dalai Lama XIV,Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Every morning, when we wake up, we have twenty-four brand new hours to live.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553351397, Paperback)

Thich Nhat Hanh's writing is deceptive in its subtlety. He'll go on and on with stories about tree-hugging or metaphors involving raw potatoes; he'll tell you how to eat mindfully, even how to breathe and walk; he'll suggest looking closely at a flower and to see the sun as your heart. As the Zen teacher Richard Baker commented, however, Nhat Hanh is "a cross between a cloud, a snail, and piece of heavy machinery." Sooner or later, it begins to sink in that Nhat Hanh is conveying a depth of psychology and a world outlook that require nothing less than a complete paradigm shift. Through his cute stories and compassionate admonitions, he gradually builds up to his philosophy of interbeing, the notion that none of us is separately, but rather that we inter-are. The ramifications are explosive. How can we mindlessly and selfishly pursue our individual ends, when we are inextricably bound up with everyone and everything else? We see an enemy not as focus of anger but as a human with a complex history, who could be us if we had the same history. Suffice it to say, that after reading Peace Is Every Step, you'll never look at a plastic bag the same way again, and you may even develop a penchant for hugging trees. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

A Zen master shows how to make positive use of situations that usually antagonize.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,194,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible