The Distant Lands: A Novel of the Antebellum…

The Distant Lands: A Novel of the Antebellum South (1987)

by Julien Green

English (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
3107. The Distant Lands, by Julien Green (read Aug 30, 1998). This book was published in France in 1987 and in English in 1990. It is a massive book, telling of 16-year-old Elizabeth Escridge, an English girl who comes to Georgia in 1850. This is a powerful and haunting book, and well worth reading. Green has been called a "Christian Kafka" and in 1971 was elected to the Academie Francaise--confined to 40 immortal writers. Reading this book was an awesome experience, reminding me of Flaubert. I found the prose haunting, even in English. I wish I could read him in French. This has been a major reading event in my life. ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Dec 12, 2007 |

Green, Julienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kurstjens, WillemContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nix, RobertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rijnsburger, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, daughter of the South.
Elizabeth had just turned sixteen when she saw the plantation for the first time.

Immersed in her adopted South's aristocratic antebellum society, English-born Elizabeth Escridge is ill-prepared for the Civil War that is to destroy that world forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible